+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Homework

How do you find the time and patience to do homework with your kids. I study full time and a single mum and there just doesn't seem the time to do it I have to make the time because I feel it's important for her. She is struggling at school with her work and I feel keeping on too off homework will help. But it's such a struggle to get her to co operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a weekly schedule and make homework very routine. The biggest thing for us this year is the jump in homework as DD1 has gone from middle primary to upper primary. The amount she has to do as well as her outside of school commitments is amazing, but because we have always had homework is done as soon as you get home after a drink and piece of fruit, it just gets done! She is pretty dedicated so I am lucky, the schedule for us this year is just to make sure we can get other things like music practise in there too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im so bad I forget all the time :-/, would love to know aswell

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    He does it through fear of getting into trouble from the teacher... Its really hard because we have speech and OT work to do as well

Braiiiiins
    *60kilos lost*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hate homework. I've got no worries helping my child in an area she may need but really, homework grates on me. If she struggled to read then fine send her home with home readers and we will do it, if she struggles with maths then send her home with some work..

No dramas, but sending her home with an overall 30minutes home reading plus then front to back page on the weeks worth of revision work plus times tables plus spelling words plus handwriting plus two online maths websites they want the kids to practice on ( Shes only in year 4)

When say she's only struggling with one aspect which could have my undivided attention instead...

As for the time.. I try to do the front and back revision page in one day then spelling next then reading next and so on.. But it does get really time consuming especially when I worked full time and especially when I kept being told to help her out more at home in xyz area because she was lagging... Plus I do my own homework worksheets in the area she needs help in.

I reckon just focus on the area you know your child needs more help in. An let the rest of the homework come second to that.

~Isla Rohmaine arriving sept 2013 and a baby makes 3!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twoalready For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (20-05-2013),michellead  (20-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ergh, homework! I'm sick of homework.

My kids are fine with homework, but we just have no time! OP like you I'm a single mum, 3 kids, full time uni, 2 part time jobs, and all 3 kids have after school activities most days. No time for homework! I've actually been getting in trouble off the teacher for not letting them on the computer enough, because I'm usually on it for uni! I want to buy them a little laptop actually, when I have some money.

Anyway, when our lives aren't so hectic, I find that if as soon as we walk in the front door in the afternoon I get them unpack their bags, put their lunch boxes away and put homework books on the table, all while I'm getting afternoon tea ready, then they sit at the table, eat, then do their homework before they get up and get stuck into playing. If they whinge I just remind them that as soon as they finish homework they can go and play and do what they want. Seems to work well for my kids.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The problem is.. it's okay if you're a SAHM I guess because then if you don't have other things on you have a couple of hours each afternoon.. but if you work full time or even part time and the kids go to after school care.. by the time they get home it's time to cook dinner, bath and bed routine. I worked at a school the other day who's homework sheet consisted of "reading" (which I think is good for the child anyway and should be done whether it's homework or not)... a maths problem and a quest activity which really wasn't that much for a weeks worth of work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    As a kid I used to get really frustrated with homework. Mum and I would sit there for a bit until I was getting frustrated and then we would take a 5 min break (where she would fit in a few things like dishes), that way I had a chance to cool off and come back to it calmer and less frustrated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girls aren't in school yet, but when they do go, they'll also need to do before and after school care. I was wondering, do after school care give the option of doing the homework there? Is that an option? Or is that totally unrealistic?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    My girls aren't in school yet, but when they do go, they'll also need to do before and after school care. I was wondering, do after school care give the option of doing the homework there? Is that an option? Or is that totally unrealistic?
    Our after school care did, but only homework they could do with minimal help. They didn't have the staff members to do one on one reading etc. It was also only optional for the children if they wanted to do it.

I think reading should be everyday, but that is because reading is important to me. My DD in year 3 is meant to do 15mins of reading to an adult a day, but as we were already doing about that nothing had to change. As she enjoys it we lay on the bed and do it before bed time. With her other homework well that can be a bit of a challenge so we are working on that with a monthly reward chart.

My DD in year 1 just has sight words and a reader, so takes about 5-10mins max. She also has a talk once a fortnight, so we do that on the monday (sometimes) before it is due so she can practice.

I find they are really tired though