+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Has your baby ever fallen out of their cot?

I have to ask, because my DD is now standing holding on and I'm so paranoid and scared that she might fall or climb out of her cot one of these days.
    I hate to admit it, but I often forget to lift her cot rails back up after lowering them them to place her to sleep (I've only just raised them due to her standing)... which means she could have easily toppled over had she woken while they were lowered.. and that scares the crap out of me.
    My mum said I was climbing out of my own cot at 7 months old!

Anyway, has your baby/toddler had a fall from their cot? What happened?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, our little girl fell out of her cot when she was about two. I was downstairs and heard a huge thump and then a scream. She had bruised her eye from the fall and was very upset. To be honest, we were surprised that she could pull herself over the rails as she'd been wearing a brace for hip displaysia and had only just come out of it, so she wasn't that strong in the legs. It happened once again and then we put her onto a mattress on the floor until we got her a bed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes! DD1 fell out of her cot.

It was about 6am, we heard her awake, it went quiet, in the same second it took her to fall, we realised she was going to fall, and my DH jumped out bed faster than the speed of light, I was expecting broken bones and what not, but she was totally fine, from memory she didn't even cry that much... The cot mattress was lowered that morning!

We were absolutely horrified with ourselves, and learnt our lesson and lowered the mattress very early on with DD2!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babylove81 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DH is going to lower her mattress soon as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've forgotten to lift the cot side once or twice, but our ds & dd didn't fall out. It is important to lower the cot mattress though once they are sitting, and definitely when they are standing. These days with dd standing we don't lower the cot side at all.

Our ds climbed out of the cot twice in 20 minutes during an afternoon nap (so he could read a story to his teddy behind the rocking chair ) when he was 2.5 years old. That was when the cot became a toddler bed. Our dd is 20 months old and a real climber, but she hasn't yet tried to climb out of her cot.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was climbing out of her cot at 12/13 months (it was lowered at 6months)
    She has been in a toddler bed since then (now 18minths) she has several falls out of both the cot and toddler bed! But nothing serious

10. The Following User Says Thank You to trying4no2 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    About a month ago DD fell off my bed. She had woken for a feed and I'd surrounded her in a wall of pillows as I'd always done.. left the room for 30 secs to get her bottle and suddenly heard a sickening thud followed by a loud cry.. she ws fine, but poor bubba! I now can't leave her for a single moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes DD2 climbed/fell out when the cot mattress was still on the newborn height setting. I felt terrible and we adjusted it right away.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (19-05-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We co-sleep but they have all fallen out of bed once or twice, they have all been fine after a little cry.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (19-05-2013)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd2 fell out of my bed a couple of times and off the couch she was fine after a little cry and a big hug, I was lucky the bed & couch were really low and the floor was carpeted.

We co slept