+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default what can you tell me about financially supporting myself & 3 children?? Help!!

I am planning to leave my husband in 12 months or so. I have a bit of work to do beforehand. I am currently a sahm of 3 children (3, 5, and 7) with no job. I was a professional for 10 years before stopping to have kids. I am working out how much money i might need from a job to support me and the kids. I would really value and appreciate any input from those of you that have done it before and things you learnt!! I am trying to cover all my bases, and am not sure what I am entitled to either. TIA...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask why you're planning it in 12 months? That's a long time and a lot can happen in a year.

Firstly I would be contacting Centrelink to see what you are entitled to.
    I would then look at working out a budget and based on that decided on things like affordable locations to move, what things you may need to set up your own place, employment opportunities etc.

I think having a plan really helps and can be less overwhelming.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

2made3  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PP, Centrelink & child support agency have calculators online so you can work out what you're entitled to, you can only earn about $200-$250 per fortnight from work before your benefits get affected but you should still get some single parent payment plus family tax a and b, child care assistance, child support.

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

2made3  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that. I say 12 months just because i have to find a job, house, etc and i also have a child with special needs to consider this yr as he starts school next yr xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I had to make a plan to leave my ex as he was an abusive sack of ****. I had an account where I saved as much as possible. I took into consideration roughly what I would need for bond, rent, furniture and whitegoods, etc.
    I applied for centrelink behind the ex's back- I was only entitled to FTB at that stage but it all helped.
    Hmm.. I went on a 'holiday' when it came time to find a rental so that he wouldn't know what I was up to.
    I downsized as much as possible in the lead up to leaving so that I would have less to take with me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

2made3  (20-05-2013),MilkingMaid  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want to leave then leave. Don't plan it for 12 months time. Your soon to be ex husband has the right to know and ability to be able to move on.

I mean I could understand 3 months.. but 12? You can do it. If you have no where to go they should be able to put you on an emergency housing wait list thing. Contact centrelink and go from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Perhaps contact a recruitment consultant in the industry you used to work in. Find out things like - whether you are likely to be successful in obtaining a new job, what you could do to improve your chances, whether part time positions are likely to be available, what salary you can expect, etc.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (05-06-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I can totally relate. I had a 3 year plan to leave my ex, as I was so afraid about doing it myself with 3 children, and wanted to cover every base I could, and save money etc. Anyway, with my foward planning, and things going downhill, my plan got condensed to 6 months.

Definitely put money away safely, erase history on your computer, or go to a library for online banking, get copies of all important documents and put them in a safe place, sometimes it is good to start stashing things slowly with a friend, who can be ongoing support, and perhaps also a place to go in an emergency if things change suddenly, which is actually quite common when you 'make THE decision' whatever time frame you put on it.
    Centrelink will be helpful, as will the family tax office.

GL. I can empathise with you, there is SO much to sort out and think about, it all works out in the end though.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 05-06-2013 at 09:10.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    If you want to leave then leave. Don't plan it for 12 months time. Your soon to be ex husband has the right to know and ability to be able to move on.

I mean I could understand 3 months.. but 12? You can do it. If you have no where to go they should be able to put you on an emergency housing wait list thing. Contact centrelink and go from there.
    2made3 has every right to make these plans for any time frame she wishes, the important things here are her and her children, and what she can cope with, not how it affects him. It is a seriously difficult decision to make, and everyone is different in how they need to go about it.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (01-07-2013),BbBbBh  (30-06-2013),dancingchipmunk  (05-06-2013),LlamaMa  (06-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (30-06-2013),Mahjong  (05-06-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (30-06-2013),mrsoptomistic  (05-06-2013),Purple Lily  (05-06-2013),RipperRita  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A few tips:
    -make sure any new bank account is with a bank neither of you have ever banked with (amazing how easy it is for bank tellers to slip up and provide info to partners unintentionally).
    -get in touch with a local women's support service. They offer all sorts of things.
    -start doing any retraining that you need to do to get into the workforce
    -put your children's names down at childcare centres in preparation for starting work
    -keep an open mind about where you are going to live and maybe consider living with another mum with kids. I have a flatmate with a daughter and whilst its not perfect it has allowed me to afford a mortgage and provide stability.

Hugs. I hope things work out well for you and the kids