+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New from Melbourne.

Hi everyone,

I'm Rosalyn and I am a mum to a 2 year old who was born when I was 19. I'm studying midwifery and I have been passionate in women's health and giving women choice for as long as I could remember. It wasn't until I was 16 that I became set on midwifery although that still hasn't stopped me from researching many other topics to do with empowering women.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Rosalyn!

I'm new too, ttc #1, but I plan to study midwifery in the future. Am obsessed with all things baby and pregnancy and have been for a long time. Midwifery seemed like a natural career path for me!
    How do you find managing such a hands-on course with a 2yo? Are you doing it in degree form and with what institution?

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am studying at ACU Melbourne. It has been great because it is a 3 year full time course but we are given 7 years to finish it. I was pregnant when I started and I was set on taking at least one subject a semester so that I don't get out a study pattern because I was afraid of never going back. I have completed all of the nursing subjects and breastfeeding education so as of next semester, all I am just doing my midwifery practical subjects which is a great thing to keep me motivated.

Designating time is hard but it is doable. DD goes to my MIL's house 2 days a week and will probably add a day at daycare next semester. Though, I have no idea how I thought I was busy before I had her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I do test with a BFP next week, I hope to return to study in 2015, once bubs is a year old. It'll have to be part time, but I thrive on being busy. If I have only a few things occupying my time, I tend to get lazy! I think what you're doing is great!

I'm wondering what you've heard about graduate students midwives finding jobs? I have many nursing friends and they reckon its best to do a nursing degree and then do post-grad midwifery, cos you'll have a better, or more extensive, set of skills. I'm at the end of a Bachelor of Arts degree now, so I'm not that keen on doing excessive years of study, but I am definitely interested in gaining the best midwifery education I possibly can. They've basically made me fearful of graduating with a b. midi and not finding a job!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There seems to be a stigma with direct entry mid that graduates are less qualified that post grad midwives but it's not true and it isn't held by the people who will be employing you. It is important to have both if you are wanting to be employed in a country hospital because they wish to be able to swap you around. If you want to be solely based in a midwifery setting, direct entry is great.

The direct entry course begins with general subjects like anatomy and physiology and other nursing subjects but then begins to be more direct. All of the placements over subjects are in a midwifery setting unlike nursing who have to do placements in settings like aged care.

Meeting some nurses who work in NICU, a lot of them feel like just NICU nurses and won't use their other nursing skills because it is their field. If they could have focused they would have. Of course, some people really like to work over a wide range of settings.

Overall, I think it comes down to what your interests are. If you want to do both but focus on midwifery you can do direct entry mid and then post grad nursing. If your focus is nursing but mid is an interest, go the opposite. If it's just one or the other, there is nothing wrong with that.

There is definite a change in the way direct entry mids are perceived. Graduate jobs are hard to get for both groups because of funding and most city hospitals have no problem with direct entry mids. There is about 3 hospitals in Melbourne that specifically want dual degrees but not because they are less qualified. In the end, the numbers and learning outcomes I have to complete are the same as a post grad but I skip the things I am not interested in. I will probably go back later to do nursing but only to be able to work in a rural setting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! That's a great perspective.

I desperately want to be qualified for midwifery first, and maybe take up nursing qualifications later on. Never thought about doing it in reverse! Makes sense!

My husband and I would love to live semi-rurally or rurally, perhaps Bathurst or dubbo, maybe somewhere like katoomba, so I never really aim on working in a city if I can help it.

I have to do my first year as the b. nursing, because my scores aren't quite high enough for direct entry to b.mid. So work my butt off and get a great GPA to transfer to b.mid.

Thanks heaps for your insight! I can't wait to get into it all, but of course motherhood is calling very strongly ATM too