+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can I juggle it? Is it worth it?

I need advice! I hope I've posted in the right section.

I'm approaching my mid 30's. Full time Mum to my girls (4 & 1). Hubby works full time and brings home a decent wage, we aren't well off but we don't stress about money.

My 4yo goes to kindy 3 times a week for 5 hours and my 1yo has recently changed to one nap a day which has been fantastic because she now naps for up to 2 and a half hours! Yay!

Having said all of this, I have been thinking about studying as a pathway to returning to work when my youngest starts kindy/school. Ultimately, after studying and some work experience I'd love to set up a freelance business do I can work from home, but not sure if I have my head in the clouds....

I would like to study Graphic Design. It was my 'thing' growing up but I never pursued it when I finished highschool as I was offered a full time job when I finished school and as a 17yo the weekly pay was more appealing than retuning to study.

Huge regret now

Anyway, I'm thinking about studying part time for two years. It's a commitment of about 10-15 hours per week (Distance Learning) and with my husbands support, which I have, I think I could allow that time to study.

But, a little voice tells me not to be silly, I'm too old to make such a big change/commitment, maybe I'm not good enough, the fees are substantial even though I can obtain VET Fee Help....

I can use photoshop, self taught, and have made/sold birthday invites, birth announcements and designed business logos etc and my drawing skills are above average so I have the entry level skills required to apply for the course.

I'm torn and scared to take that step. I went to the Open Day at the design school I'd like to study at and I felt excited and terrified at the same time.

I'd love advice from anyone, especially any Mums who have been in my position. What did you do, do you regret it? What are your challenges?

What should I do?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

mrsoptomistic  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's very doable!

What do you have to lose??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do it! You are never too old to follow your dreams!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Go for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do it. I started studying again when DS1 was 2.5 and DS2 was 5 months. I'm doing a degree which will take me about 8 years. I'm only doing one subject at a time so my commitment is fairly easy. I intend on upping it when DS1 starts school in a few years. I'm in no rush though. I'm not studying for a career, I'm doing it just because I have a whole bunch of subjects I want to do that happen to make up the best part of a degree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I were you I'd defnitely go for it! You have support, both emotional and financial, and it's something you're obviously passionate about. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do it!!
    Take the minimum course load so you can focus (I am doing my masters one subject a semester... It is going to be a long journey, but important to me and my personal growth).
    All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all! It's encouraging to read your replies.

I might see if I can get in touch with a few freelance graphic designers and see if they can give me some advice too. If I do the course I need to find a mentor in the industry anyway so might be worth seeing if I can find that person early

I think I need to believe in myself, it can be hard to separate myself from my role as a mother. I sometimes feel like I'm being selfish for thinking about taking time to study. But it would be a good example to set for my girls...showing them that after all this time I had the guts to follow my heart and jump back into studying

Thanks again!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

babycart  (20-05-2013)