+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Tying shoelaces?

What age did your child learn to tie shoe laces? DS1 is 8.5 and flat out refuses to learn. He refuses to wear shoes with laces as well.
    I'm so over buying velcro or other laceless shoes that fall apart within a month. As he gets older and feet get bigger we are obviously limited with options as well.
    What age was your child when they learnt?
    Were they happy to learn?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD1 was 5 and was happy to learn
    DS1 was 6 and wasn't happy but picked it up quickly.
    DD2 is 6 now and refuses to try also, but with girls buckle shoes make it easy.

Could you give him a piece of string and something to tie it around, rather than using his shoe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by onionskin View Post
    DD1 was 5 and was happy to learn
    DS1 was 6 and wasn't happy but picked it up quickly.
    DD2 is 6 now and refuses to try also, but with girls buckle shoes make it easy.

Could you give him a piece of string and something to tie it around, rather than using his shoe?
    That's a good idea. I think I will try something like that and see if I can trick him into learning..lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    DD1 taught herself when she was a bit over 4. She is a determined kid though and doesn't like people doing things for her if she thinks she can do them herself. I tried lots of different thing with laces on them before that but it's different when the shoe is on their feet to when something is in front of them so it didn't help all that much. TBH I think it was something she picked up from kindy with carers who were more patient than me. DD2 is just over 4 and is starting to learn. Again, she's just teaching herself.

Sorry probably not much help. I was surprised they've done it so early tbh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you make your own 'shoe' together out of a piece of strong cardboard (he can trace around his favourite shoe) and punch holes in it to thread laces through. I have made these with kids before and they have been really motivate by it, especially if they get to decorate the shoe how they want as well. You could even play a game where you get a point each time you tie it right. You could 'forget' how to do it yourself so he feels the need to help you. Maybe he could also help you make your own to use as well to model on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS is 6 and just cannot seem to get it. We got sick of buying Velcro so bought lace up shoes but bought the laces kit with the toggle which so far has worked well.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I've taught kids before at this age and older who refused to learn to do up shoelaces- I think it's more of a mental barrier than anything else that is stopping them- as to them (boys, especially) it seems to be a very mentally comprehensive task, as well as taking a good amount of fine motor skills.

The only thing that has gotten through in the end has been a bit of tough love. No more velcro shoes, and I nor anyone at home will tie the shoelaces for them- but we are happy to assist, model and give advice and encouragement.

8.5 can be a bit old for 'practice' shoes too- eg the cardboard ones (although it's a good idea, but kids that age are already worried about being cool, no matter who knows what they're up to at home or not!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd was 5 last August I wasn't going to let her go to prep this year with velcros (personal choice) we practiced over the holidays and she nailed it has no problem!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Haven't tried it myself yet, but I saw a great idea I'm going to try when I teach my kids how to tie their shoelaces.
    Basically, you sit them down with legs out straight together in front of them and use a skipping rope at thigh level to practice. Much easier to see where the laces need to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Some good ideas! Now I've just got to convince him to give it a shot.