+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    What's shared care? How does it work?
    It's where you have some of your antenatal appointments with your GP, and the others with your midwives. Not all doctors do it but many do, your hospital should be able to advise you of which local ones offer this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What's shared care? How does it work?
    I went to my GP for most of my check-ups but I had a few very specific visits with the hospital too, mostly for the later tests in the third trimester. It just meant that I was able to have consistent care with my family GP, who I know and trust, and I didn't have to go to the hospital too often. I actually only made it to one hospital appointment; my last appointment, booked for 39 weeks, had to be cancelled on account of having a baby.

They gave me a little card to keep track of all the details, blood pressure, baby position, stuff like that, and they sent reports back and forth between my GP and the midwives.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to snowqu33n For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had DD as part of the midwife managed program trial at Sutherland, DS at St George as part of their external midwifery program.

The actual ward at Sutherland is lovely. As Atropos said (I'm the friend), my first middie was amazing. She is actually a private midwife from Wollongong who was doing agency shifts, am happy to pass on her details if you want. The consistency of care, assistance with bfing, etc, was pretty poor however. All in all, the non-regular midwife and pretty room were the highlights.

St George midwives: AMAZING. Honestly, in comparison the level of care, the birth, etc, was just so much better. As part of the external program, I had the same two midwives for all antenatal appointments, and had one of my midwives at the birth. The birthing suite was lovely too. The rooms are pretty crappy on the ward though, but I found the whole experience far better.

Am happy to help out if you want to know more. Let me know!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do the birthing rooms have bath tubs in them??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, there was a bath in the birthing suite. If you are keen for a low to no intervention birth, I definitely found St George better.

If you were looking at the midwife managed program at either, I would strongly suggest ringing ASAP. They do tend to fill up pretty fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave them a call this morning and they need a referral so off I go to see my GP this afternoon. This is so scary for me. I'm going to miss my OB at St. George private

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I gave them a call this morning and they need a referral so off I go to see my GP this afternoon. This is so scary for me. I'm going to miss my OB at St. George private
    Why is it scary? Don't most women birth in public hospitals? It's totally fine! And if you need ob care (if you're high risk) you get it. Free

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't be scared. If you are in the catchment for St George Hospital for a birth, you are pretty lucky! The midwifery program is highly regarded, plenty of people fudge addresses just to get in to the program. But I have never bothered with an Ob, so I guess I don't know what I am missing out on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm scared because it's something new to me. I know and trust my OB, I've given birth at St. George private and I know that they're fantastic. My OB makes sure that I get what I want. She's amazing!
    I'm nervous about being in a different environment, I'm nervous about not having a room with a tub because I'd prefer a drug free birth, with the exception of gas. I'm going to have my doula with me so it should be okay.
    I've decided to go to Sutherland hospital. I've heard too many crappy stories about St. George public...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can understand why you are nervous, I have not used an on but have developed a level of comfort and trust with my private midwife and GP and on the odd occasion that I have to see an ob at the hospital I feel really anxious about it because its all new and a lucky draw as to who you are going to get. I think it's normal to feel vulnerable entrusting such an intimate time to a complete stranger, it's not nice feeling like just another file.