+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sutherland Hospital VS St. George

Ladies, I really need some help. What's Sutherland hospital like? DH and I really can't afford to go private again so I'm looking into going into a public hospital. I'm considering Sutherland hospital & St. George Hospital. I'd really like a hospital that has a tub in the labour rooms. I've heard that St. George Hospital doesn't have a tub so it kinda turns me off.
    Please tell me about your experience xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm now leaning a lot more towards Sutherland Hospital. If anybody can tell me their thoughts..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I liked St George. The midwife program was awesome.
    If you go thru the birthing centre (minimal intervention only) they do have baths.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't comment on my own experience but the majority of my mothers group went through St George public and they really didn't like it. Mainly as there was 4 sharing a room in the maternity ward. They just found the noise and lack of privacy hard with that many in a room.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Smithy1 For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    St George has baths in their birth centre. I've birthed one baby at st George, it was 10 years ago now, but it was fine. I have, however, also attended a birth at each of these as "doula" to my BFF.
    St George birth centre was lovely. The kiddie didn't even insist on internals, she could tell by watching how close bub was. There was minimal interference, she was happy to do water or land births, didn't care what position so long as mum was happy. She didn't whisk baby off for shots or weighing, she let them bond for a couple of hours first.
    The Sutherland experience was mixed. The main midwife was a lovely, open minded and calm lady, but she did get called away at one point and her replacement was awful. Written complaint awful. She burst into the room, turned on ALL the lights (we'd deliberately kept lighting minimal to keep mum to be calm and were in the semi dark in the shower) and demanded my friend lay down for an internal. She was politely told that it was not time for an internal (shed had one an hour before) but she continued to yell. She was asked to leave, then stood in the corridor shouting to another midwife that we were uncooperative. Awful. A dr that came in at one point tried hard to push my friend into having pethidine also.
    That said, I'm sure others have had a better experience there. IMO st George is better in terms of midwifery.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

dont have personal experience but my SIL had her baby at sutherland...she did have a private doctor tho...she said it was great, as far as im aware she had no complaints.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jfblady72 For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did shared care with my GP and St George and I found it quite nice. Well, as nice as being in hospital can be! I was high risk so I went through the hospital rather than the birth centre, but the midwives were lovely.

I ended up having an emergency c-section so I got my own room (huzzah for complications!) so I can't comment on sharing a room. But the midwives were lovely and very accomodating, and very supportive and always ready with the drugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wikidwitch View Post
    I did shared care with my GP and St George and I found it quite nice. Well, as nice as being in hospital can be! I was high risk so I went through the hospital rather than the birth centre, but the midwives were lovely.

I ended up having an emergency c-section so I got my own room (huzzah for complications!) so I can't comment on sharing a room. But the midwives were lovely and very accomodating, and very supportive and always ready with the drugs
    What's shared care? How does it work?