+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rice cereal- when to stop?

My 6.5 mth old DS has been on solids for quite a few weeks now after being solely breastfed since birth. We started with rice cereal but we are now doing half BLW and half mushy foods. Basically, he loves everything we give him, which is great!

My question is- how long do we give rice cereal for? At the moment, we give him rice cereal mixed with BM and banana for brekky, then he gets what we're having (where appropriate) for lunch and dinner. Plus breastmilk at least 4 times a day too. Does he NEED rice cereal for the iron or should we assume that he is getting it from the rest of his diet?

If we can drop the rice cereal, what other things can we give him for brekky?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My answer may not be appropriate as I don't blw nor did I bf but I give my almost 6.5 month old a weat bix soaked in formula for breakfast and he loves it

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Porridge, weet bix, rice cereal from the health food section (is just rice), toast, scrambled eggs are a few favourites here. Your baby doesn't need rice cereal, and they don't know it is breakfast time so don't be afraid to give veggies for breakfast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Stop it now! don't worry about getting enough iron as he should be having meat/eggs/fish/veggies/herbs and will get plenty through those foods
    I also add chia seeds to everything for iron as well

BLW breakfasts are easy -

Eggs are a great breakfast food - mix 2 eggs with fresh herbs and chopped tomato and fry in non stick small frypan - cut into strips for him to hold

Cereal - make you own - puffed quinoa with fresh pear and formula/bm

Toast - wholemeal toast with avocado or almond butter

Pancakes - homemade with banana - cut into strips
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 18-05-2013 at 11:50.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    If you're still breastfeeding, then the iron in the rice cereal may actually be hindering the better, easier absorbed iron in your breastmilk.

Not everyone will share my view, but rice cereal is not a great choice for a first food- mostly because it's highly refined, such as white bread is. All the nutrients are stripped during processing and then fortified with synthetic vitamins. It can cause deficiencies, it's high in sugar.. and really... it's pointless

Better off with green leafies if you're worried about iron (in conjunction with bm) and for breakfast go for something like fruit pancakes (blueberry and banana- yum!) which you can freeze and pull out as needed.. or grab some cereal from the health food isle (less salt and sugar in them). If you're not worried about introducing egg, omelette is a good choice too

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (24-05-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    BLW wasn't really "a thing," when my DD started on solids... you just gave them mush.

But in all honesty, regardless of your approach I wouldn't be giving rice cereal. Have you tasted it? It's foul and it lacks any real nutrients. I would be giving veges and similar instead, personally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.

We've been giving organic rice cereal from the health food shop anyway so I assume it's not too bad. Once we finish this lot, I'll ditch it and start giving other things. Definitely not worried about giving egg- he had his first shot at it yesterday and loved it I also went out and bought some quinoa so I will try to start to eat it myself now too!

Really appreciate everyone's help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you're on the right track with eggs. We tend to absorb iron best when it comes from animal proteins, so if DS is getting a little bit of meat, that will be a big help.

Iron from non-meat sources like quinoa isn't absorbed quite as well, so if you choose cereals or green veggies, he'll need to eat more to get the same amount of iron. That said, green leafy veggies are high in iron, and so are oats, so you could do something like porridge or cheerios. (IMO, babies are better off going straight to oat cereal and skipping rice cereal altogether.)

A diet high in vitamin C will also help with iron absorption, so keep up the fruit. in your diet and his.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah I'd stop the rice cereal once the pack is finished, we gave DS baby porridge instead. You can make it with water, formula, breast milk or cows milk ( once they are past 11 months) eggs are good ( wish my DS would eat them!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would stop it now, it's not necessary! He can get his iron from meat and veggies instead