+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Brisbane Mater Private Ob - group practice or stand alone OB?

I have just found out I am 5w4d pregnant and looking at birthing options. My only public option is RBWH due to catchment issues but I really want to go to the Mater, namely for the NICU/SCN quality. We have private health insurance so happy to use Mater Private.

I am looking in to the OBs who have visiting rights at Mater Mothers Private and am not sure whether to go for a group practice (eg Arrivals) vs a stand alone OB (eg Dr Alexander).

On the one hand a stand alone OB is great for continuity but you do risk missed outpatient appointments as the OB may be otherwise busy and also they could be busy with a more complex delivery so there are no guarantees the OB will be at your delivery. On the other hand group practices cannot guarantee you will get 'your' OB at delivery either - it depends on who is on call - but at least you have the opportunity to meet the other OBs pre delivery.

I am very keen for others advice and experiences please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a stand alone ob that was there for my first but away for my second.

I really like her but she does have a personality that some might find odd. But she is flipping brilliant if you want a vb - twins, breech, high risk etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I had a stand alone ob that was there for my first but away for my second.

I really like her but she does have a personality that some might find odd. But she is flipping brilliant if you want a vb - twins, breech, high risk etc.
    Thanks. Did it bother you having your Ob away for the second (and presumably having an Ob you did not know)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newchapter View Post
    Thanks. Did it bother you having your Ob away for the second (and presumably having an Ob you did not know)?
    Yes it did. Bub arrived a couple of weeks earlier than expected.

I had to argue for my rights with the replacement ob. Told him more than once to shove it. He ended up ringing my ob and getting her opinion and let me do what I wanted.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

newchapter  (18-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The NICU/SCN at RBWH is just as good as the Mater, so if you want public don't let that sway you. At the Mater I would probably do group practice as the chances of your ob not being there are quite high, purely because so many babies are born there each day. Personally I like only seeing the 1 ob but if is because I like to build trust with one person.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

newchapter  (18-05-2013)