+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Porridge takes 8 minutes, I blitz apple into it first. Cleaning really is easy. You can just put water in it and turn it on for most things but I usually just wash it up in the sink. If there's any really tough bits you put some bicarb and water in it and cook it for about 10 minutes - then it scrubs up like new.

I don't use mine for full meals but I do use it at least once a day, usually more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep about 10 mins, I blitz apple in ours first too, I also made this yummy banana and coconut one a few times, it reminds me of banana cake! The porridge is a little bit different consistency to stove porridge (i prefer stove), but its still really yummy, and super easy and quick when you're trying to get everyone ready to go, I usually have a quick shower while it cooks. Its just more 'smooth' I think, maybe like quick oats porridge?

Cleaning after porridge is easier than cleaning a pot coz its stirring the whole time it doesn't stick as much, but I usually blitz it with water a couple of times, then soak it for a bit so the last sticky bits around the blade are easy to clean off. So its certainly not self-cleaning. I use it heaps more (at least 1-2 times a day) than I used the food processor (which I love my food processor), just all the parts to it, and how they have that big shoot thing etc! The thermomix is much easier to clean.

Like I said, I don't do full meals, I like slowcooking stuff, and I like that flavour from caremelising onion in butter etc, which it just doesn't do, but it does great quick soups, and things like the bechemel sauce for lasagne, and other things that are parts of a meal, plus all the things I can do instead of buying in packets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Hi I wanted to ask a question if the op doesn't mind me crashing.

When you make full meals in it, how many adults would they serve?

Could I make meals that would serve 5-6 adults and 2-3 kids on a regular basis?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am only cooking for two here at the moment but I do make meals for friends occasionally and have fed 5 adults and 1 child (one of those adults would eat the same as 2 adults as well!)

All I had to do with mine is grate Parmesan and hubby exclaimed 'that thing just paid itself off!'

Some days I'll just use mine to make a sauce to go with dinner, other days I'll make the whole meal. Happier now I'm not working I can use it more often!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Hi I wanted to ask a question if the op doesn't mind me crashing.

When you make full meals in it, how many adults would they serve?

Could I make meals that would serve 5-6 adults and 2-3 kids on a regular basis?
    It makes 2 litres of whatever - so 2 litres of soup, risotto, custard, curry, etc. Or you could use the jug for a sauce, basket for rice and varoma (steamer) for meat and veg.

I saw a post on Quirky Jo's Facebook page the other day about a family who had nine kids and used a thermomix to cook for everyone. Things like pizza dough are good for bulk cooking too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (21-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Looooove mine! I have a page on FB called my thermomix made it. It's changed everything for us, so much more time with the family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, I was a bad cook before my thermomix , now on a Saturday morning I can make so much food for the week in less than a few hrs so the rest of the week is a breeze . I usually make a couple of batches of biscuits , Vegemite scrolls, couple of orange cakes, some soup to freeze, some pasta sauces ( pesto and Bolognease ) some pizza dough .... Honestly all in a couple of hrs. I freeze that and then I use it multiple times a day for coffee ( the best frothed milk) baby food fresh in 5 minutes and liquidized, I make beautiful porridge and homemade almond milk in a flash every morning , I make hommus for sandwiches , I make fresh bread in an hr and a half start to finnished and cooked, it's just endless. I make yummy green smoothies for the kids and fresh iceblocks full of veggies! I don't even use it to its fullest as I have 3 under 5 but I could never do without it now. Get it but make sure you give yourself a few months to get into using it . When you change habits you can adapt the thermomix to cook most things. It's awesome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't wait until my baby arrives and starts eating solids so I can make their food in my thermo!

Thanks
    Reviews
    After wanting one for around 2 years, a week ago I got my thermomix and its been awesome.
    Its expensive but really worth the money, its an investment and can replace many other appliances - however going to a show and taste (demo) is the best way to see how amazing it is. People spend $2K on a tv or other items that only do one thing as a Thermomix does so much, saves time, money and power usage, is easy to clean and use (once you've adapted to it), so for me so far, I haven't seen any disadvantages (but I could just be on a thermie high )
    Yes I do believe that a thermomix can regularly feed a large family, I thought initially the 2l bowl would be small, but its ample and the food can stretch to 5-6 adults and 2-3 kids (esp if you are using the Varoma as well as the bowl for cooking the meal).

I use mine every day (usually around 3 times sometimes more) and its been really handy to make porridge, soups, risotto, dips, bread, butter, cake and ganache, fried rice and plain boiled rice, boiled eggs, sausage rolls (chops the vege and minces the meat), sorbet, custard, and the list goes on and I've only had it a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooooh I really want one now.