+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help me with my fussy child!

DD is almost 3 and is an incredibly frustrating eater! Her main problem is she won't eat anything 'saucy/mushy' so no spaghetti bol, casseroles, mash potato, any pasta with sauce etc. I know this would generally sound like a sort of sensory issue but she will happily eat 'sweet' mush...custard, yoghurt, trifle etc. So basically will only eat dry plain savouries. Things she will eat for dinner are grilled chicken, nuggets (anything crumb coated lol we coat it at home so somewhat healthier) sausages. And always served with some cold vegies like carrot sticks, cucumber,celery. How do I get her to eat other things? Or even to try it?! She looks at spag bol, shepherds pie, mash potato and says 'no yuck' straight away. I think it may be time that I don't give her any afternoon tea and wait till she is starving at dinner and only give her that option but then I feel like a horrible mum! Anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I feel your pain. My 20 month old DS is almost a non-eater unless it's cheese, yogurt, pasta or scrambled egg. I would LOVE it if he would eat some meat. He hates anything that's crumbed so the exact opposite to your problem. Sorry I can't offer any help only a

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I read that if they haven't seen or tried a certain food before age 2 they won't! Well they will but it will take a while - most toddlers love routine and the same things over and over - including food - apparently its just an in built survival mode which is why you hear people say they need to try it 10 + times before they will actually eat it - it sounds like she is at least eating some good things so maybe try adding 1 new thing to her standard meals until she gets used to it ? And yes cut out the snacks before dinner so she is hungrier - we did this with my niece as she was fussy from about age 2-6 then one day she just started eating everything and anything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyJenn View Post
    I feel your pain. My 20 month old DS is almost a non-eater unless it's cheese, yogurt, pasta or scrambled egg. I would LOVE it if he would eat some meat. He hates anything that's crumbed so the exact opposite to your problem. Sorry I can't offer any help only a
    Just on the no eating meat thing... google obstructive sleep disorder and see if he has any other symptoms. Dd (aling with chronic tonsillitis) had osd and even though she had her adenoids and tonsils out over a year ago, is still funny with meat. She has it in her head that she cant swallow it.

Osd's main symptom is aversion to meat.

Eta - since your ds mainly eats soft food, I would put money on him having an ent issue. Also dd was fed purely mush (rafferty's 10 month old) food until she was 18 months and had her op.

** sent from outer space **
    Last edited by Turk EnJayDee; 17-05-2013 at 19:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I knew the answer. My DD#2 is very fussy. Hates any sauce of any kind. But she will happily eat any plain meat. She turns 10yrs this year and I figure that's just her and at least she eats. She will eat most meat as long as it's plain and wont touch any cooked veggies except mashed potato. She will only eat carrot and capsicum raw.

Most of our meals are meals where you brown the meat first and I just pull some out for her. So, spag bol for her for example is just plain mince and pasta and she will have some raw carrot/capsicum as well. She loves beef ravioli but again it can't have a sauce or anything on it and she just eats it plain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I want help with this too! My daughter is the same

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was that child! My Mum had to resort to feeding me 'platters' at dinner time for years such as carrot, cucumber, corn, celery, lettuce leaves, cheese, lunch meat, olives, etc. I'm perfectly normal (!!) and thankfully that was healthy food. I do wonder though if that happened now, whether I would be labelled as having some form of condition? It sounds to me like I mostly ate 'finger food'. Nothing worked on me, no bribing etc (I'm stubborn, it may have been a way for me to assert myself?).

Naturally, I grew out of it, eventually.

Not sure if this helps at all, but as long as there is enough nutrition, you probably just need to hope for a slow transition to new foods. I don't bat an eyelid at fussy eaters provided that they have enough balance in their diet.

In the hope of avoiding the same situation when bubs comes a long, I'm going to try BLW.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's all my DS will eat to is tin spagetti , cucumber, beet root, cheese, yogurt out of the squezzy packets, chicken, grapes, watermelon & banana, sandwiches, toast & weet bix wow after listing it all he is actually eating good but he has not meats like streak etc. It sends me crazy. He is having his tonsils & anoideds out in a couple of month so I am hoping that be will be better after that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wish I could help but I have the same problem with my DS1 who is 6 every night I have to cook him sausages, broccoli and plain pasta. He refuses to eat what we have and only likes toast, coco pops, fruit, cookies and jam sandwiches during the day. The only time he will have something different is if we have take out then it is always nugget and chips or if subway then a plain bacon sub. We have tried bribery to get him to try different things but it doesn't work, the most frustrating part was up until he was 3 he would eat anything. Because he is so fussy we give him 2 sustigan drinks a day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Been searching the net for more ideas to try with DS and found this blog http://www.thesneakychef.com/blog/ It has some good ideas I'm going to try and I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else is interested. I found a few things that might work and if they do I'll by the first book.