+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by May baby View Post
    Thanks everyone, appreciate the support.

I am planning on expressing and taking it out tomorrow. I called the breast feeding helpline for some advice and I was just made to feel like a bad mother. The lady told me I can't express milk and take it out, it needs to be in the fridge. I know you can take it out for a certain amount of hours.

Can anyone comment on how long? Do I just store it in a thermo bag? When ready just heat it a little in hot water?
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...ing-breastmilk
    It would appear that BM freshly expressed is fine at room temp for 4-6 hours.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

May baby  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Rubbish! I'm exclusively expressing and bottle feeding my 3 week old baby! If I'm
    Going out for one feed, I just express just before I go out and keep it in an insulated bottle bag. You can store it for up to 4-6 hours out of the fridge. That is on the aba website! If I'm going out for longer, I take it in a insulated cooler bag with an ice brick and I bought a little thermos and can fit my bottle into warm it up! Expressing works for us! Don't let anyone judge your decision

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsboyts For This Useful Post:

House Mummaxxxx  (17-05-2013),May baby  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone, appreciate the support.

I am planning on expressing and taking it out tomorrow. I called the breast feeding helpline for some advice and I was just made to feel like a bad mother. The lady told me I can't express milk and take it out, it needs to be in the fridge. I know you can take it out for a certain amount of hours.

Can anyone comment on how long? Do I just store it in a thermo bag? When ready just heat it a little in hot water?
    (This is what I did and not straight from the guidelines)
    Fresh off the breast I would use it within 4 hours, placed in the fridge I would keep it for up to a day, and once out of the fridge use it within 4 hours.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

May baby  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsboyts View Post
    Rubbish! I'm exclusively expressing and bottle feeding my 3 week old baby! If I'm
    Going out for one feed, I just express just before I go out and keep it in an insulated bottle bag. You can store it for up to 4-6 hours out of the fridge. That is on the aba website! If I'm going out for longer, I take it in a insulated cooler bag with an ice brick and I bought a little thermos and can fit my bottle into warm it up! Expressing works for us! Don't let anyone judge your decision
    So if I keep it in a bottle bag I don't need to heat it just give it straight to bubs?

I feel hopeless with all these questions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Strictly speaking expressed milk needs to be stored in the coldest part of the fridge. If I recall, it's good in the fridge for 48 hours, much longer if it's frozen. It shouldn't stay outside the fridge for more than 6-8 hours; it depends on the environmental temperature.

Personally, I used to leave a couple of bottles ready overnight (for no more than 8 hours) because it was just a pain to stumble around at night sticking it under the tap to warm it up. (I expressed and topped up with formula for the first 6 weeks until it just became too exhausting to keep up with feeding and expressing and not sleeping.) If it were me, since it's winter I wouldn't be too fussed about leaving EBM outside the fridge for a little longer.

EBM doesn't really need to be heated up if it's not put in the fridge. And it's great if you decide to FF in the future - bub'll be used to room temperature milk and you'll not have to worry about heating up bottles!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Agree with PP's. I would express short term until you decide. That way you are keeping supply up.

It's no failing to put your child on formula. Not saying you should or shouldn't, just that if you decide that's what is best for you and your baby, don't feel guilty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So if I keep it in a bottle bag I don't need to heat it just give it straight to bubs?

I feel hopeless with all these questions
    My midwife and the aba counsellor said that as you serve it a room temperature, if you have in the bottle bag and you can serve it within four hours

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister only expressed with her first bub as she had big latching probs. she only ever served bottles at room temperature, including later when she introduced formula. People used to tell her she was cruel not heating up the bottles, but as she put it, DD didnt know any different so she never complained!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When your bub is running around say 10 years old you won't ever think back to this decision. Either way they will be happy and healthy. Do whst you need to do.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-05-2013),May baby  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I can completely relate to your situation, I was in practically the same situation when my DD was born 4 months ago: having massive anxiety, having to use the shield and having low supply. I persisted for a month and it was a nightmare, I honestly was on the brink of full blown PPD and had such a hard time accepting that I just had to move on and find another way to feed my child. I spent weeks just feeling so down and like an absolute failure.

I eventually made the decision to formula feed and 4 months later I'm so happy with my decision. My DD is thriving and more importantly I'm loving motherhood and enjoy every minute with her as opposed to dreading it.

Make the decision that best suits you; don't allow anyone to make you feel like a failure or like you don't care about your baby. From my experience there will be some judgement as everyone seems to think it's their right to have an opinion, but just know that if you decide to pump and bottle feed or formula feed, you are not alone and it will not affect your bond with your baby at all; if you're happy, they're happy!

Good luck with whatever you decide

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-05-2013),kw123  (17-05-2013),May baby  (17-05-2013),snowqu33n  (17-05-2013)