+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Deciding to stop breast feeding

My baby girl is two weeks old and I'm considering putting her on formula or doing mixed feeding.

I'm doing this as I suffer from pretty bad anxiety and the energy breastfeeding is taking from me is not helping me relax. Another reason (not major reason) is I have to use a shield which makes feeding in public very difficult which results in greater stress.

Anyone else stopped breastfeeding early on? I'm so confused about it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do what feels right for you Hun x.
    Maybe plan to keep the most enjoyable feed - whatever that is for you. For example if you really enjoy breast feeding in bed together in the morning, or after a lunch nap or at night or whatever. But if it is stressing you out then do whatever you need to do to get through, and if that includes a formula feed when you are out then so be it.
    Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, I stopped BF after just a few weeks.

It wasn't working out for us, and there were a number of reasons behind the decision, but - really - if you think it would be better to stop then the reason isn't for anyone else to judge.

If you would like to stop then there is nothing wrong with that. You have to make the decision that is right for you and your family.

I'd suggest talking to a lactation consultant or midwife about ways in which to do it - just to make sure that you're not stopping your milk supply too suddenly (which can cause you some problems). Often they advise on cutting down on one feed a day (and replacing with formula), doing that for a few days, and then cutting out the next feed, and so on until you've replaced them all.

There are also lots of people on here who can help you with the emotional side of it. It can be very stressful as a new mum, and there can be a lot of pressure from others about what you 'should' or 'shouldn't' do.

FWIW, my little girl is now about to turn 3. She's always been very healthy, with no allergies or medical issues, and ahead on every developmental front. Switching to formula was certainly the right decision for us. It was a very difficult time (when we made the decision to switch), and I now wish that I hadn't put myself through the amount of agonising about it that I did.

Here if you ever want to talk.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (17-05-2013),Mama Mirabelle  (17-05-2013),May baby  (17-05-2013),snowqu33n  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to hear you're having a hard time with it.
    Do you have a pump? You could try expressing and bottle feeding EBM which could be a solution to the difficulty feeding in public.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Being nervous about breastfeeding in public is totally normal in the early days. Your bub is only 2 weeks old: still so very young!. You need to stop being so hard on yourself. If breastfeeding in public is difficult, take it easy and stay home a little longer and relax, or feed in the comfort of a mothers room.

I know it's hard to imagine but in a few months time many mothers find it easier and are BF'ing like pros while in cafes, while walking etc.

See a lactation consultant. They might offer some great advice (Lansinoh nipple cream and those gel pads you stick in a freezer then down your bra.. ahhhh!). In the end though its your call and you have to look after yourself too. Happy mum = happy bub.

Good luck whatever you chose to do.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, appreciate the support.

I am planning on expressing and taking it out tomorrow. I called the breast feeding helpline for some advice and I was just made to feel like a bad mother. The lady told me I can't express milk and take it out, it needs to be in the fridge. I know you can take it out for a certain amount of hours.

Can anyone comment on how long? Do I just store it in a thermo bag? When ready just heat it a little in hot water?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Its a personal decision. Any reason you decide to stop is legitimate and you don't need anyone's approval. I think there are things to consider such as the fact that weaning can be stressful in itself, so you may want to do it slowly and get some advice from the ABA first. Also, sometimes it is possible to combine feed and be happy with that. I combine fed my son for 10 months and I didn't mind that at all. It was sort of a good balance for me, as I enjoyed breastfeeding but I also enjoyed having others feed him and getting away at times.. However, if you really aren't enjoying it at all, you shouldn't feel like you have to persevere. You have done a good job breastfeeding for 2 weeks and should be proud of yourself for that, and for being smart enough to know that this isn't working out for you. Babies need happy and content mothers.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-05-2013),May baby  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my response to that is to call again and hope for someone different, or send them an email. All the people that work for the ABA are volunteers and some are better than others. Im sorry that she made you feel like crap. Thats just not fair and you are not a bad mum.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (17-05-2013),Cue  (17-05-2013),May baby  (17-05-2013),sweetsugardumplin'  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry the person on the phone made you feel that way There is some advice on the ABA website about weaning, although I think it's in a very 'if you absolutely HAVE to' way...

Unfortunately I don't know how long expressed milk has to be chilled for, but perhaps a freezer bag would do the job?

Also, maybe talk to your OB, and see if he/she can recommend a nice LC (without an agenda) for you to talk to? Mine recently put me in touch with a lovely one, who phoned me up, and talked me through some BF concerns I have for baby #2.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

May baby  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I used to take expressed milk out and put it in the thermo bag. You can put a little freeze pack in there if you are worried (but you don't need to). I think it keeps up to 4 hours. I used to serve it at room temp. If the milk needs heating just put the bottle in a container of warm water.

Good luck