+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 19 month old not listening

Question for my sister about her 19 month old DS (she's not on the forum)

She is getting frustrated with her DS who is starting to get strong willed and not listening to her anymore. He understands her but is either to excited or stubborn to follow her instructions. Eg, we were at a park yesterday with a fountain and he kept going over to it to slash around in it. She kept telling him not to go in, and he would repeat back, no water, but would run straight for it.

She tried distracting with other toys, chasing birds, etc but he ended up splashing around up to his knees with his shoes and socks. When she said, mummy said not to go in the water he said back again... uho, no water.

Any advice, about how to help him with listening. Is this the time to start time outs, is he too young, any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think She did the right thing but its just constant repetition , distraction, removal at that age , just pick him up immediately and move him away, it may take 2 or 3 times at the park for him to stop but he will get there! my 18 month old niece is similar, our local park is on the water and she would just bolt down to the beach , it took about 3 weeks and finally she stopped running down that way, I'm sure she was just trying to see how much she can get away with ! I think they are too young for time out

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, it is not a problem of not listening, it is that he has realised he is a separate individual and he can DO things on his own. The method of discipline has to change with each new development milestone, and also to suit each individual child. It is not wise to get frustrated, if something is not working how you would like, or how your sister would like, then the method has to change. I understand time out is one minute timeout for each year old. ?? If I was in the situation with the fountain, I would have packed the swimmers, or just gone home or moved well away from the water to another spot. Water is very attractive to most little ones. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    19 month old DD is exactly the same at the moment. Driving me nuts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, same here at 20 months. I have noticed rather than just saying "No Zak don't do ....." if I say "Zak listen to Mummy (then when I have his attention) no...." works better. They are just so wrapped up in their own worlds at this age.