+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gloria Jeans has paper covered straws - love them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsoptomistic View Post
    Gloria Jeans has paper covered straws - love them!
    Is it an American company? I've never been in there.

I spent several weeks in New York and every cafe, coffee place etc had paper covered straws - this was over 10 years ago and at the time it was pretty rare to see the same in Australia.

As for Tampax, they may be flushable but they still create a heck of a lot of waste.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    I'm definitely a hoverer! And big on hand washing. But I'm not fussed on where somebody changes a nappy or allows their young child to have a wee. You just have to do what you have to do sometimes when it comes to young children.

America has flushable toilet seat covers in a majority of public bathrooms. I get pretty excited to use one whenever I get home! But in general I'll choose to hover even if they're on offer because I do what I can to not waste paper. But when I first land the novelty of it is usually too strong!
    I've seen flushable toilet seat covers in some shopping centres here in Aus... nit a very common occurence though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    A coffee chain in Aust - like Starbucks

Oh and I usually hover!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsoptomistic View Post
    A coffee chain in Aust - like Starbucks

Oh and I usually hover!
    Yep I know what they sell I've just never bought coffee from one.

I just checked - they were foundered in Chicago. So yep they would have paper covered straws

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Is it an American company? I've never been in there.

I spent several weeks in New York and every cafe, coffee place etc had paper covered straws - this was over 10 years ago and at the time it was pretty rare to see the same in Australia.

As for Tampax, they may be flushable but they still create a heck of a lot of waste.
    Gloria Jeans in Australian.

I never said Tampax weren't wasteful, just explained why they would be more popular in the States.

In all honesty, I rarely order a drink that would need a straw (I'm a big water drinker) or go out for fast food when I'm home so I haven't noticed the state of our straws lately .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Yep I know what they sell I've just never bought coffee from one.

I just checked - they were foundered in Chicago. So yep they would have paper covered straws
    Maybe it's an East Coast/Midwest Chain, never seen it on the West Coast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually Gloria Jeans used to be American owned, but been Australian owned since 1996.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Jean's_Coffees

This thread has really gone off topic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I agree re the OT bit but these places work to a universal formula that every place in the world is similar so people know what they are getting whether they're in Belgium or Brisbane. If the company was brought over from America and still has cafes in America it would follow the American lead.

Anyway it was just an observation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This thread is interesting, espcially the people saying they "hate germs", we need germs to survive, there are good germs and bad germs and when you kill them, you kill them all. Some very interesting research is going on that talks about what exactly happens when you kill good germs, pretty scary stuff actually.

Here is one thing they have found -
    One example: The bacterium Helicobacter pylori causes ulcers and has been linked to stomach cancers. Although it was once in almost everyone’s gut, it is now found in just 6 percent of U.S. children, Science magazine reported in 2011, probably due to the widespread use of antibiotics and anti-microbials. That should mean fewer ulcers, but there’s a dark lining to that silver cloud: H. pylori may ward off asthma. Scientists led by Dr. Martin Blaser of New York University Langone Medical Center found that those without H. pylori are more likely to have had childhood asthma than those with it. Coincidence? In 2011 scientists in Switzerland infected half of a colony of mice with the bacteria and left the other half germ-free. They showered all the mice with dust mites and other allergens. Mice with H. pylori were fine; those without suffered airway inflammation, the hallmark of asthma.

Exactly how H. pylori might ward off asthma is still a mystery, but researchers have made progress understanding the link between our microbiota and other diseases.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (10-06-2013),~Marigold~  (19-05-2013)