+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dating Scan - HELP :(

I just had a dating scan I thought I was approx. 8 weeks, I conceived on the 31st March or 1st April, I was unsure when my last period was in March :0 ( I have a record of every month before that!) my period is not regular (between 21-29 days. My dating scan showed 5w6d, but could no detect the heart beat.... - there was no "flicker" as the sonographer put it, I have booked in again in 2 weeks. I'm so worried now, Should I have been able to hear the heart beat at 5w6d ? arrggggg I don't know what to think

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first scan was at 5w6d and I to thought I was further along so I panicked but I went back 2 weeks later and expected there to be nothing because I had 2 previous miscarriages I just assumed this would be the same but there was a healthy little jelly bean with a strong heartbeat. I know it is hard but try not to panic maybe you ovulated late so you really are only a little bit along. What helped me panic a little less was getting the digital pregnancy tests that shows how far along you are, if your hcg levels increase like they should then how far along you are should change (my theory anyway) good luck and try not to stress

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went in for a scan when I was almost 7 weeks along and there was nothing there. No yolk sac, nothing. There was an empty gestational sac and they told me that I was either having an early miscarriage or that it was an ectopic pregnancy.
    I went in two weeks later and my little jelly bean was there with a strong heart beat. I ovulated later than expected. I was only 4-5 weeks when I went in for my first scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you very much Im feeling better now after your replys, Ijust went & bought a digital pregnancy test, xxxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Best of luck! Keep us updated x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    Best of luck! Keep us updated x
    I did the test BUT the hour glass is still showing with the numbers 1-22-3 ???? it doesn't say PREGNANT its been 20min now

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd take that as a faulty test (maybe it just can't decide if you are 1-2 or 2-3 weeks past conception). I found those clear blue tests just increased my anxiety if they didn't click over from 1-2 to 2-3 when I expected them to. Would your gp do 2 x hcg's 48hr apart so you could get idea of if all is well?

With my DD I went for a scan thinking I was over 6weeks and got told they couldn't see a heartbeat or comment on 'it's viability'. They dated me at 5+5 from memory and told me to come back in 2weeks for repeat scan. It was a horrible time- not knowing is the worst- all was fine when I went for a repeat scan.

Try to focus on these things
    - if you are only 5+6 then it is completely feasible for them not to observe a heartbeat
    - If you don't have a lmp date then it is really hard to know how far along your are- ovulation could easily be later than you expected

I hope it all works out

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mjk For This Useful Post:

Jjjaaazzz  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks mjk Ill call my GP xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's probably a dodgy test, it happens sometimes. If it was working, it would have said 'not pregnant' by now.

Don't bother getting more pregnancy tests to try to work out what's going on. That's not what they are for and all they do is stress you out. Those digital ones in particular are pretty inaccurate. One day they'll tell you you're six weeks pregnant and the next day they'll say 3. It all depends on what your urine is like at that particular time (so it depends on how much you've had to drink, the time of day etc).

There are plenty of logical reasons why you might not be as far along as you thought, you might have ovulated late, and your periods aren't that regular anyway so who knows really. 5 weeks is usually too early to see a heartbeat, sometimes it doesn't show up until 7 weeks. Try not to stress, when you go back in 2 weeks there is a very good change you'll see a healthy little jelly bean