+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When to drop the night time feeds?

DD is 7 months and still wakes up 5 times every night after putting her to sleep at 7pm.
    She will wake at 9pm, some times at 10pm as well, 11pm, 3am, 5am then wake for the day at 6am
    If I get DH to resettle her, she would go back to sleep but will pretty much wake to 10 min later. If I try to resettle her without feed she would just cry. If I give her a feed she will go back to sleep. So maybe she's hungry? She would only drink 50ml each time though. At 3 and 5 am she would only have a few sucks.
    So I am not sure what I should do. Should i cut down the night feeds? When did you drop the night feeds?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told recently by the MCHN that at six months 4 breast feeds during the day is enough and if I wanted to train him to not need night feeds anymore I can come see a sleep consultant.

So I would assume when they are having a bottle and you can tell how much they are getting that she would have agreed with her not needing them.

But then there are alot of ppl on here that say its normal to still wake for feeds overnight.

A friend if mine from the MCHN new parent group had similar issues with her son. He was waking every 1.5 hrs and she is now a single mum so it was wrecking her. She went to the Ellen Barron sleep clinic in brisbane for 5 days and now he is only waking twice a night most of the time.

So maybe a visit to a sleep consultant might give you some pointers.

Ds is 7 months next week and he still has one feed a night most nights, the others he has two. One night he didn't get dinner and he woke 4 times that night. Needless to say dh was in trouble the next day and he gets a good size dinner now.

Have you tried giving her more dinner?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, my baby was doing exactly the same thing at that age. I was feeding like 4 times a night. I had reached the end of my tether mentally so I got some help with training her to sleep. As suggested above I got a sleep consultant over for 3 nights. The first night worked! I would have been happy to do 1 feed over night but my baby started sleeping 12 hours from that first night. She has been trained to self settle since christmas, it is fantastic and she is now a different baby. They get tired too waking all night long at that age.
    Best of luck and hope you can work something out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I night weaned my DD at 12 months, and she never has anything overnight now still (she's 19 months). She coped just fine, and yes her appetite did increase during the day and she started to eat more food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Unless there are specific medical issues, a baby of 7 months shouldn't be needing any night feeds let alone 5.

Chances are bub is feeding out of habit. Stop offering night feeds and bub will stop waking to expect them.

Make sure bub loads up on solids during the day, especially protein (meat) at dinner time. If you want a gentle way to night wean slowly push feeds back (eg wait 20 minutes before feeding) and reduce the duration of each feed.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I do think that 7 months is still pretty little and 1 (or maybe 2) overnight feeds is still VERY normal. I would say however that your little one is not really hungry if she is only having a few sucks so I wouldn't be offering the bottle as often as you are. Have you tried a dummy or water before the bottle? Or just a 5 minute cuddle? I would set a time out rule for the bottle, saying to yourselves that if it's been less than 4 hours since the last feed she isn't hungry, even if she is trying to make you think she is & work hard on other settling methods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you a all for your advise I am going to try a few new techniques tonight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 7 months my DS definitely still needed the night feeds! I think he needed them up until at least 12m but he kept going until he weaned completely at 20m when I fell pregnant. He gradually reduced them himself though.