+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I would. I don't drink at all (5 years of pregnancies/breastfeeding) so it's not like I'm a drinker anyway or that they're going to get stuck into the grog with us at parties or anything.

I want my girls to know that binge drinking is not ok but I don't want to be all uptight about alcohol either.

My girls are only 4 and 1 so ask me again in 12 years time and I'm sure ill feel differently

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    no, they cant buy it til they are 18 so i dont think encouraging them to have before hand teaches them the right values. It is illegal for them to buy it before 18 for a reason. So nope, i wouldnt allow it. Each to their own tho dd is only 14 months so along time before im faced with this issue, my view might change, depends on the situation at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure. Part of me says no, but then my parents introduced me to alcohol (1/4 glass of west coast or shandy) from wen I was about 14.

Their reasoning, they'd rather I tried with them on moderation rather than by myself with friends.

However the world has changed now, 14 yr olds are so mature that it's scary. I think I'd prefer if they didn't drink till 18. Or maybe just a sip from my glass.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I say no, my daughter is 18 in 2 weeks she has always asked if she could drink and we have always said no, she is trust worthy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes in a family situation such as celebratory meal if it's just one or something weak. Research shows in countries where alcohol is enjoyed responsibly amongst families there is much less binge drinking and alcohol related disease and death. I would allow my son a beer or glass of wine under supervision.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm a few years away from negotiating this one (DD1 is 7) but my feeling is no. Alcohol is illegal until 18, for good reasons. I don't want to get into having to explain why some laws are ok to break if mum or dad say it's ok. I would prefer to keep it as simple as possible.

But mainly I don't beleive young people's bodies are ready for alcohol, in any amount, until they are over 18 (more like 20 probably but that's not the law). DH and I enjoy drinking and have very healthy relationships with alcohol but we're adults and I believe it's a poison for young people whose bodies are still developing.

Just my thoughts at this stage and who knows how I'll feel in 9 years' time. I also plan on being one of those annoying parents grilling her friend's parents on whether they'll be serving alcohol at parties.

I think it can be explained quite easily to them why it's ok to wait.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo  (20-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    Research shows in countries where alcohol is enjoyed responsibly amongst families there is much less binge drinking and alcohol related disease and death.
    I see this statement all the time but never see the research to back this up. Do you have any you can link? My understandning is that in a lot of European countries were alcohol is introduced earlier life expectancy is generally shorter anyway (not related to alcohol related deaths). Just curious to see how this actually pans out in the research.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any links to hand no, but most are Mediterranean countries where life expectancy is actually a big longer in some cases due to the diet too. I firmly believe it's better to introduce alcohol responsibly in the family rather than young people thinking they have to go out and get drunk as part of the experience. Teaching how to enjoy it in moderation, a glass of wine with dinner, is fine imo at age 16. Less temptation to go out getting drunk behind parents backs. And moderate, sensible drinking will in no way lower life expectancy.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    My dad let me have a drink every now and then. If i went to a party then he would buy me the alcohol with the rule that i only drank what he provided. It meant he knew what i was drinking and how much.
    It made me respect the fact my Father trusted me and also respect his wishes and i followed his rules...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't know. DD is only 5 so I am a long way off making this decision. I think a lot of it will depend on her personality at the time.

I do tend to lean towards no though. I think there is so many difficult choices a teenager has to face (education, career, relationships, sex, self discovery) and I believe alcohol would confuse the situation further and potentially lead to bad choices.

On the other hand, I agree in theory that a responsible introduction to alcohol could be good, the reality is that it would not work for very child. Some children are just impulsive and reckless.

So... I think the only logical option is waiting to see how DD develops.