+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yes as I know that there is a extremely high chance that he will be experimenting with alcohol by that age anyway with or without my permission.

I will not be encouraging him to drink alcohol but if he expresses an interest and has demonstrated maturity to me then I will allow the odd drink here and there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk EnJayDee View Post
    A full beer or glass of wine? No. A small sherry glass of wine or small glass of something to their liking? Yes.

I have a Russian background and for myself, siblings and cousins, we were all given very small (think shot glass of wine) amounts from about 12.

None of us have ever been trashed, or felt the need to sneak alcohol. We are all very responsible adults now and none of us were affected adversely in our kinds. Some of us are even Air Force pilots. Most of us went to uni and we all appreciate alcohol rather than use it as a means to get p***ed.
    This, hubby's Italian but watered down wine, not a six-pack!

the wine tour thing for their 18th sounds like a good idea, we live in a big wine area so this would work quite well

Mel x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would allow it.

I was raised in a very anti alcohol family but from 15 ish I was allowed the odd bourbon and coke half nip (measured for me) or the odd west coast cooler and lemonade at dinner. Maybe once every month or so. Nothing major.

I went to parties, my mum would buy me a 4 pack of vodka cruisers and give me 2!

I never hit the 18 and get wild and crazy stage.. I'm now 24 pregnant and married and can count on one hand the times I've been seriously drunk. I believe the non crazy alcohol is forbidden crap from my parents helped.

I also feel that cause my parents supplied it for me... I never needed to go searching for it in the wrong places to show how 'cool' I was amongst friends.

They forbidded me to smoke.. I smoked for 5yrs. Classic rebellion

For the record, I'm now a security guard and my parents are police officers lol.. Certainly a law abiding family

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 16 I would probably allow the occasional drink.
    If they are old enough to drive with supervision I think they can be responsible enough to have have a drink at home every now and then.
    I was allowed a drink of Bailey's with milk every now and then at home.
    My sister used to be out drinking at 14 and Mum was none the wiser.
    I wasn't supposed to drink at parties or without her supervision but went out and did it anyway!
    I'm now 24 and haven't been out drinking in 2 years and in fact have no interest in alcohol anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop8818 View Post
    I was allowed to drink at 15 at parties with parental supervision. Mum would buy me the alcohol and expect me to just have my 2-4 cruisers but that didn't happen. I still found a way to drink more. Letting your child drink won't necessarily make them more responsible about drinking but won't make them irresponsible. Same parties I had friends who stuck to their drinks that were purchased for them.
    It did other things though, I knew my mum wasn't stupid, she knew I was getting more, you don't get that drunk off 4 cruisers but I called her whenever I was in trouble. A fight broke out and I wanted to go home I would call mum or I would go with a friends parents and message mum to tell her where I was.
    I wasn't afraid to call her drunk which is the biggest thing for me, your children need to know if they have had a few drinks they can call you if they need you rather than worrying about being yelled at for being drunk and staying in a dangerous situation.

Education about drinking and reassurance that you are there to help them out if need be is more important than just letting them have a drink at 16 in my eyes.
    I will be letting my children have a drink for occasions, I will also be educating my children about peer pressure and how doing things, like getting drunk, 'to be cool' is stupid.
    Totally agree - my mum would buy my drinks for parties at 15/16 (inc Schoolies) and I always stuck to just those drinks. But she was always there when I needed her to get me or my friends. My girlfriends were sneaking out to parties & lying whereas my mum would drive us & pick us up. I will be reaching my two kids the same thing - ill ways come to them when they need me regardless if its something they shouldn't (or I'd rather them not) be doing. They are going to get alcohol from somewhere regardless but if you let them know honesty is the best policy then you minimize the chances or unfortunate situations

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kobi'smama For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (18-05-2013),kw123  (18-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The only reason I see a 16-year-old drinking wine is because it's free booze that they're being given permission to drink. I doubt there are many 16-year-old Australian kids that enjoy the taste.

I also highly doubt it means they're not going to go get p*ssed next weekend. Having a wine with dinner with Mum and Dad doesn't prevent that. It doesn't make the kid go, "Oh, so drinking wine is nice and civilised... I don't need to go get drunk with my friends after all."

I think they were saying on CoW that studies have been done that say that kids who start with Mum and Dad are actually more likely to have drinking problems as adults. Even just anecdotally in my family... Dad offered us wine as kids with dinner. I turned it down. My brother didn't. Guess who will easily go through a bottle of vodka for EACH weekend night? Yeah, it's not me.

I dunno, if I was at a wedding and my kid was someone I viewed to be reasonable, I would maybe say, "Sure, have half a glass during toasting." But beyond that, nope, sorry, if you want to go and get drunk, then you have to work for it and be sneaky about it. Being sneaky is hard work, especially when you're throwing your guts up the next morning and all you can manage to say is, "Oh, must have been bad party food..." (yes, that was me at age 17) to your mother who surely knows better than to believe that nonsense.

I'm not making it easy for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't drink and we don't have alcohol in the house (apart from the random wine we keep winning in raffles and don't know what to do with) so our children will not grow up with alcohol being a major part of life. Hopefully our children will have the same view as us, that you don't need alcohol to enjoy yourself. I will be teaching them about the law and that it is illegal to drink before 18.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand that some cultures handle alcohol responsibly. This one doesn't. While my dad was a drunk my mum hated it with a passion and this is something that was reinforced in us all: that alcohol is bad and serves no purpose. Thing is, I don't drink and yet all of my siblings have alcohol issues.

So, dunno about it all but while my son is a minor and I am his guardian he won't be drinking under my roof.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    I understand that some cultures handle alcohol responsibly. This one doesn't.
    Not quite sure what you mean by this? Australian culture? I don't think it has a lot to do with it and everything to do with the way we educate our kids in regards to this.

Quite honestly, knowing I could go home and ask mum or dad for a glass of wine for eg kinda took the thrill out of it and they also educated us about what it does, when it is acceptable to drink and all other aspects.

Funnily enough, my mother developed a drinking problem after she kicked my dad out but she also had other addictions as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up in a family where alcohol was drunk modestly, and only in social situations. We were allowed a small glass of wine with mineral water, or half a west coast cooler, or a sip of beer from around 16. Only small amounts, and only at big occasions, family 21st for example.

I did go through a wild phase. I don't think anything would have stopped me. I chose to rebel. I don't think my parents allowing me the occasional thimble of wine had anything to do with it though, I was naturally rebellious and stubborn.

I would not have a problem with my kids having the odd taste of alcohol at around 16. If they are rebels, they will probably do it behind my back too.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app