+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS1 knew he wasn't to drink until 18 because that is the law and we obey the law. He had some on his 18th birthday but not much since. He is almost 20 now and still not really interested in it and neither are his mates. I just got lucky I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was allowed to drink at 15 at parties with parental supervision. Mum would buy me the alcohol and expect me to just have my 2-4 cruisers but that didn't happen. I still found a way to drink more. Letting your child drink won't necessarily make them more responsible about drinking but won't make them irresponsible. Same parties I had friends who stuck to their drinks that were purchased for them.
    It did other things though, I knew my mum wasn't stupid, she knew I was getting more, you don't get that drunk off 4 cruisers but I called her whenever I was in trouble. A fight broke out and I wanted to go home I would call mum or I would go with a friends parents and message mum to tell her where I was.
    I wasn't afraid to call her drunk which is the biggest thing for me, your children need to know if they have had a few drinks they can call you if they need you rather than worrying about being yelled at for being drunk and staying in a dangerous situation.

Education about drinking and reassurance that you are there to help them out if need be is more important than just letting them have a drink at 16 in my eyes.
    I will be letting my children have a drink for occasions, I will also be educating my children about peer pressure and how doing things, like getting drunk, 'to be cool' is stupid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think at 16 (and probably not before) I'd let them taste wine at a special occasion. My dad used to give me a port glass (the one that's the size of a shot glass) of wine with dinner from maybe 14. I'm not sure if that was the *best* idea but it didn't do any harm.

My mum though supplied me with volumes of alcohol from 16 on the theory that if she supplied it and it was under her roof then she had control... It just meant that I was getting it at home *as well*. Sorry mum!

Though completely unrelated to alcohol consumption at 17 I had some minor problems with my kidneys and a couple of other things and was told I needed to avoid toxins etc including no caffeine, avoid a few other things, and alcohol a big no no for at least 6 months after I got the all clear and it got real for me that I could hurt my body. Even a few months before my 18th my dad was drunk and trying to pressure me into having a drink I said no I can't. I'm kind of impressed with 17 year old me saying no - absolutely not - I can't drink when I was being pressured by my own dad.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no idea what I am going to do in this situation and thankfully I have a fair few years to think about it.

On one hand I want to say hell no will I give my kids alcohol underage. There is no need for it, I don't want to glamorise it and make it seem like a treat that makes them important iykwim...

But then another part of me thinks that in order to normalise alcohol and teach appropriate levels of consumption I should allow them the occaisional drink without a big fuss...

I have suffered with alcohol addiction ( was getng wasted at 12) and this question scares the crap out of me... I just pray they don't grow up like me and instead be more like their father who isn't fussed with drinking at all...

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. We don't drink at all. We have one bottle of wine in our house which we use for cooking, if the kids want to, we will probably let them have a sip of it when they're older but they won't be allowed to have glasses of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A glass of champagne at Christmas or birthday .. Maybe ..

I really done want to even think about that stuff yet .. Too scary !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think so.
    I was allowed to, but had friends that weren't. It made a huge difference when we started going to parties. My parents were aware that I would be having a few drinks so would call to check up on me and made sure that I was safe, whereas the parents of my friends that weren't allowed to didn't take those precautions because they didn't know their child was drinking behind their back.

I wouldn't offer my teen a drink, but if they asked I would consider it.
    Last edited by atomicmama; 17-05-2013 at 08:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Perhaps... My parents let us have a few drinks after the age of 16. It's never really excited me but I have one sibling who drinks an amazing amount, so I can't say that a child can be taught to drink responsibly. Out of 5 kids, 2 drink like mad and 3 of us don't touch it much at all (doesn't help that I'm always pregnant or bfing! LOL)
    I may let them have a beer at Christmas or something.. DS1 swears he doesn't want to touch the stuff after watching his Dad struggle with alcohol.. That could change though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We don't drink at all, so definitely a no here.

However, I was allowed to sip drinks as long as I can remember and by 14 my parents were supplying me with alcohol to take out. I knew my limits and I think that was a positive thing, I never did anything exceptionally stupid while drinking.

I expect my kids to never drink, so won't be doing what my parents did. I know this leaves them open to a large level of naivety about drinking, but I can educate them about it without experimenting with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I will probably let my kids have the odd drink here and there by that age. I was allowed to start drinking alcohol from around 12. My mum use to buy my brothers and i a pre mixed drink so share each week. Then i would start buying my own 4 packs of cruisers here and there.
    While i wouldn't let my kids start that young, i don't think it did me any real harm. I drink every once in a while but certainly don't have any real problems with alcohol addiction, excessive consumption, etc.