+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A full beer or glass of wine? No. A small sherry glass of wine or small glass of something to their liking? Yes.

I have a Russian background and for myself, siblings and cousins, we were all given very small (think shot glass of wine) amounts from about 12.

None of us have ever been trashed, or felt the need to sneak alcohol. We are all very responsible adults now and none of us were affected adversely in our kinds. Some of us are even Air Force pilots. Most of us went to uni and we all appreciate alcohol rather than use it as a means to get p***ed.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turk EnJayDee For This Useful Post:

Mellybel  (17-05-2013),risfaerie  (18-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No. We don't drink either.
    I actually brought my dd1 her first drink on her 18th birthday.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If there is a special occasion then we would probably allow this. But we don't really drink and none of our families do either

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on the context.

Letting them try a drink every now and then whilst at home? Sure. Sitting down and sharing a glass of wine/ scotch and coke everyday after school? No.

In my family when growing up we were allowed to have a sip of my parents drinks if we wanted to taste them, but wouldn't have been allowed a glass of anything until about 16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depends on the child I think. By 16 both my siblings were drinking and doing drugs, So them getting a drink at home made no difference. Being the youngest, I saw their mistakes so had a totally different attitude to alcohol and drugs.

I was also drinking by that age, but never got smashed drunk until I moved out of home. I also never did drugs, until much older and even then it was a hash cookie, so I've never done "hard drugs".

I have no idea what I'll be doing with my DD...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its hard question, it really depends on the situation and kid.
    I grew up in Europe and a glass of whine or sparkling on special occasion was no big deal for under 14... it kind of takes the whole 'wwooooo dont touch the forbidden fruit' stigma.
    On the other hand I dont know if I would offer the same option here in Australia as its such a cultural issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Potentially.

I grew up in the UK, and it was common for kids to have the odd (small) glass of wine with a family dinner at a much younger age than 16.

I feel that I grew up with a healthy attitude toward alcohol. My family love to drink wine in moderation, and I enjoy it too.

I don't know anyone who has a problem with alcohol, and that probably shapes my views a bit too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes - wine is a big part of our family life lol! We cellar some, etc and visit wineries so its a hobby. Not drinking to get drunk.

Would absolutely give a 16 year old a drink of wine with dinner. Prob younger tbh (a sip of course). Our DS will see wine a lot so better to normalise it and teach him about it rather than it being something totally off limits.

I moved out of home at 17 to go to Uni so I think the idea of denying someone a drink with a meal with the family a year younger is a bit ridiculous. Depends how you were brought up though.

And as I have said before, there are loads of people on here who have had horrible experiences with alcohol with family members, etc so I can understand why they would have a different view.

But alcohol is not the devil. It's about moderation. And there is a difference between experiencing a lovely red with a meal, and chugging a rum and coke out of a can (which I find gross).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents used to let me have a drink when I was in my teens. For my 16th bday they bought me a bottle of amerula and peppermint liqueur, I never got drunk because I knew I didn't have to. Like I didn't have to rebel.

First time I did get drunk was at the legal age of 18, actually 17&3/4 haha.