+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Is giving your 16 your old alcoholic drink ok?

So well what's your opinion ? Can of worms inspiration
    Is it ok to give your 16 year old a drink? I don't mean letting them get trashed but 1 drink on special occasions

I don't know where I stand. On one hand I feel if a kid at 16 wants I drink their going to find a way and I rather them do it at home under my supervision but in saying that I also see how drinking at 16 isn't any good for their health and development. I wouldn't allow them to smoke at 16 cause they wanted to nor smoke or do anything else so why allow drinking.
    So I'm on the fence tbh

Me(21)+DH(25)+DS(4)+DD(2)
    Sent from my ... Using the.... Does it even really matter

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Considering my upbringing, yes I would. (I was brought up in a large family of alcohol appreciators and so all of us tried drinks through our teens and around 15 we were allowed to have our own drink at gatherings and on occasions).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, I'd let them have 1/2-1 drink, at home, under my supervision. I'd rather teach my children responsible and sensible alcohol consumption habits, rather than the way I learnt about it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I would at home & under my supervision because what I was doing at the age of 16 I would be glad that my DS or DD was having a drink where I could supervise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 2 sons, aged 3 and 1 so it's highly likely I'm going to be faced with this decision. My head says no, they don't need it, they can wait until they're 18. Alcoholism is rife in my family and I worry for them when they are older and how it will impact them. I was absolutely forbidden to touch alcohol when I was under 18. I used to sneak mouthfuls of Baileys from about the age of 15 (as in one mouthful every 4-5 months) and the first time I actually had a couple of drinks, I got really drunk and made a bit of a knob of myself. Behaviour that continued well into my early 30s. I'm not sure if it was because alcohol was seen as such a taboo thing or because of my likely biological abuse of alcohol. Or maybe I'm just a p1sspot.

I think rationally I will allow my boys to share a beer with their dad (or me) while watching the footy, or have a small glass of wine if we have a nice dinner. I want them to understand that alcohol isn't about getting drunk, it's about enjoying as you would any other beverage. I wouldn't have 10 pints of coke in a row, why should 10 pints of beer be any different? I expect they'll have nights where they get drunk but I don't want them to do what I did and drink with the intention of getting blind.

I'm just not sure what the best way is to go about ensuring that. There's so much literature around about the effect of alcohol on the teenage developing brain. There will probably be more that comes to light over the next 15 years so I'm really confused about what I think.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (17-05-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (16-05-2013),Rarity  (16-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well drinking was a no you don't need to know about it simple end I story and at 15/16 I was drunk more times then I could count. Getting ahold of it in ermm not a very sensible way. So I can honestly see the sense in allowing a drink at a special occasion but I don't know I see the other side f the argument too.
    Partners opinion is if you won't let them smoke at home you don't let them drink at home simple.

I just can't seem to form a solid opinion and know where I stand

Me(21)+DH(25)+DS(4)+DD(2)
    Sent from my ... Using the.... Does it even really matter
    Last edited by MonsterMoosMum; 16-05-2013 at 23:19.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dad allowed me to have a drink or two at family things and at home sometimes if we had guests, when I was 15-16 and same with my aunties and uncles allowing my cousins. I don't see the issue because I never went out and drank behind anyone's back, as say I might of done if I was completely banned from trying alcohol.

So no, I don't see the issue in allowing a drink, under supervision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    I have 2 sons, aged 3 and 1 so it's highly likely I'm going to be faced with this decision. My head says no, they don't need it, they can wait until they're 18. Alcoholism is rife in my family and I worry for them when they are older and how it will impact them. I was absolutely forbidden to touch alcohol when I was under 18. I used to sneak mouthfuls of Baileys from about the age of 15 (as in one mouthful every 4-5 months) and the first time I actually had a couple of drinks, I got really drunk and made a bit of a knob of myself. Behaviour that continued well into my early 30s. I'm not sure if it was because alcohol was seen as such a taboo thing or because of my likely biological abuse of alcohol. Or maybe I'm just a p1sspot.

I think rationally I will allow my boys to share a beer with their dad (or me) while watching the footy, or have a small glass of wine if we have a nice dinner. I want them to understand that alcohol isn't about getting drunk, it's about enjoying as you would any other beverage. I wouldn't have 10 pints of coke in a row, why should 10 pints of beer be any different? I expect they'll have nights where they get drunk but I don't want them to do what I did and drink with the intention of getting blind.

I'm just not sure what the best way is to go about ensuring that. There's so much literature around about the effect of alcohol on the teenage developing brain. There will probably be more that comes to light over the next 15 years so I'm really confused about what I think.
    This is absolutely my thoughts on the fact. I am torn, my head says no - there developing brain does not need it, however realistically I would like to teach my children to drink appropriately and responsibly because you enjoy the drink, not to get drunk.

My DH has no problem with it and as far as he is concerned he WILL be having a beer with his 16yo DS watching the footy to teach him the way to drink responsibly.

I think that I have a bigger problem with it as growing up my mum had a problem with drinking and didn't give it up until I was in my early 20's and her drinking very nearly destroyed our family. Because of that I was always determined not to drink to excess but hopefully my children will never see anything like that so I will need to find another way to educate them on the way you should enjoy alcohol.

Who knows what I will feel about it in 16years time tho.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm a bit torn on this one - I totally don't like the idea of alcohol for underdeveloped brains, but I'm not sure how to "teach" responsible alcohol consumption.

I hear stories of people who were allowed to drink at home, who still got drunk with their mates, and people who weren't allowed to drink at home who got drunk with their mates.

My thoughts lie in "how do we teach teens not to pressure peers into drinking to get drunk". As that's what we seem to see so much of in the media (both news and social media).

I certainly won't be buying my kids alcohol to go to schoolies or the like (they can buy their own when they're old enough. Because while I'm not sure that allowing them a little drink at home is educating them on "safe" drinking, I believe buying them alcohol underage is encouraging them to drink.

I think the answer lies in exposing them to lots of social situations where alcohol isn't "needed" to have a good time. Which seems to be the crux of why teens say they drink. (ie. I need it to have a good time). When I've been to music festivals or whatever - that's where it becomes apparent.

Anywho - in answer to the question, I think it's probably ok to give a little alcohol at home - but I don't believe that this teaches safe drinking or prohibits them from learning safe drinking.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    interesting topic.

DH and I are not drinkers. We always have bottles of wine in the wine holder though. And we might open one on occasion with a nice meal or a roast lunch- I'm talking maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

We'll let the boys have a sip.

MIL gave DH a 6 pack of mexican beers that BIL left down at her place... That was 5 months ago. We opened one each the other night at dinner with the kids at the table. I think we both had about 2 sips and threw them out- when the kids asked why... we honestly just don't like the flavour! And we're not going to drink something we don't like. Regardless of how expensive they are to buy.

So I don't really think that 'drinking' is going to be a problem. The kids have tasted a sip or two of wine every now and then. We don't drink habitually watching sport on TV.... we play sport- and we drink water. And sometimes on occasion we will have a glass of wine to compliment dinner.

One thing I am definitely going to do with my boys is make sure that they all do a wine appreciation tour. These are not 'booze buses' they are very well-constructed tours that introduce different types of wine in terms of texture, flavour, body and production- I especially would like them to know about the 'strangebird' wines.

Growing up to have a respect for something is the way I'm planning on approaching it.

I want getting drunk to be just as distasteful as running down the street covered in cornflakes and rolling in your own vomit.... there is absolutely no reason alcohol needs to be synonymous with 'fun'

But I think it is nice to have an appreciation of wines, and I would be happy to let them have a small glass of wine at 16 when we are enjoying a bottle.

I would like to do the same with spirits.... teach them about the art and science of cocktail making, and to respect their bodies enough to not get drunk.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Jarylee  (17-05-2013)