+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default breastfed babies and solids...

This is not exactly a breastfeeding question but im after some advice on when i NEED to start ds on solids? There is so much conflicting advice out there and everyone has a different opinion on it. I would like to hear some advice from a breasfeeding mother's perspective.
    DD was formula fed and started solids at 4mths old. Looking back i feel that was to early and i believe she wasnt really ready, but i hated her on formula! She also suffers food allergies and eczema.

DS is almost 5mths old, exclusively breastfed since birth, sleeping thru the night but has recently gone back to feeding 2 hourly during the day and cat napping. He's a good weight, gaining 250-300grams a week. 2-3 bm's a day.
    I love breastfeeding him and visioned doing it exclusively for 6mths.
    Im hearing other babies are on 3 meals a day of solids at ds' age?!
    Is ds missing out? i dont know.
    Am i doing the wrong thing by wanting to only breastfeed him for the first 6mths of his life? Apparently iron sotres in BM are not adequate enough when they reach 6mths so u introduce rice cereal for the fortified iron? I dont even know how true that is, id be quite happy to feed him breastmilk longer if that's not the case.

I havent even really thought about solids untill now. The grow up so quickly and im totally enjoying breastfeeding him. Solids just sounds like extra work.
    When should i do the solids? How do i know he's ready?
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 16-05-2013 at 12:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't start solids till 6.5-7mths old with both my girls. Their sleep was always good before. I found that solids actually disrupted sleep for my two.

That's bollocks about iron in bm. The iron levels in bm are lower than in formula etc but they are a perfect match for bub so only a little is required as its all absorbed. The reason why formula and rice cereal are fortified is cos its not an exact match and the companies hope that the bub will absorb some of it.

Also breastfeeding in itself actually enhances jaw and muscle development for speech development so there is no rush to start solids so bub can use new muscles.

Bf exclusively as long as you want. Both my girls went straight from boob to normal food. No mashing or puree mush for them.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 16-05-2013 at 12:47.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (16-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good question LMM. My DD is also 5 months and have been wondering the exact same things. I had planned on exclusive bf until at least 6 months but I'd hate to think she was missing out...

Ill be interested to hear others responses

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The latest recommendation from Australian research ( which is the same as the WHO guidelines) is exclusive breast feeding for 6 months , then solids , breast milk is all they need and there is no rush for solids until they are physically ready around 6 months, your baby seems very well fed and healthy so I wouldn't rush into it!

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc...ne_summary.pdf

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've decided not to stress at all about solids. H is 5.5 months and has tried a few times, but was pretty take it or leave it. So I'm not going to stress about how many meals she has, I'll just keep offering her a taste of this or that when she's in a happy alert mood, and let her set the pace. I started earlier than 6 months because she was showing all the signs of being ready. I won't start worrying about meals as such probably until she's around 9 or 10 months, then I will probably try to have her on 3 meals a day, just because I hope to wean at 12 months. So it's all just what works for us, I'm not going to worry about what anyone else does

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was exclusively BF until a week before 6 months of age when I introduced rice cereal (which he hated) and purees. My ECHN said to have him on 3 solid meals a day by 7 months, which I did, whilst still BF him 4 times a day.

He was on 3 milk feeds from 9 months, 2 from 10.5m, 1 from 11.5m (as well as solids). I can't remember when I introduced snacks in addition to meals. I weaned him completely at 12 months, 5 days.

But you can exclusively BF for as long as you want.

DH (early 30s) + me (29 + several months)
    DS (IVF #3) born 21/4/12 by emergency c-section
    PeJu#2 due Jan 2014

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PeJu's Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my girls were breast fed and started solids at 5 months.

DD1 wasn't interested and looking back, I should have waited a bit longer but being a first time Mum I was excited and couldn't wait for that next stage.

DD2 was ready, she was interested and took to solids like crazy. She loves her food!

DD1 self weaned at 15 months.

DD2 is 14 months and still feeding 3 times per day with no signs of wanting to give up any time soon

DD1 started sleeping through the night at 7 months. DD2 started sleeping through the night about 2 weeks ago!!! Both were cat nappers til 12 months.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I had DD 5.5 years ago the MCHN advice was to wait until 6 months unless under doctor's advice. Some mums in my mother's group started earlier as that's what their friends/etc had done (most of these were on formula as well) but would also chat about how cute it was that nearly as much food would get spat out as spooned in ... to me that's a sign that bub isn't actually ready for solids.

DD's main food was BM, but she was topped up with a little formula for most feeds due to supply issues, I started her at 2 weeks before 6 months (we were moving at 6mo so I wanted to know if food upset her sleep) and she would pitch herself at the spoon she loved it that much.

As we have allergies in the family, I introduced one new ingredient at a time, waiting 3 days before trying the next. Again, this is what was recommended back then - now it's recommended to just start everything - but I liked it because it meant I could see if she reacted to anything specific rather than going through the process of eliminating foods. I started with vegetables (sweet potato, pumpkin, beans, peas, potato, brocolli) then fruit (apple, pear, banana, avocado) then tried brown rice cereal. I was also advised veg before fruit so they don't expect food to equal sweet. Doing the 'new food every 3 days' that list takes just over a month to get through. It wasn't much work, just every 3 days I'd make a new ice cube tray of whatever the new food was and before long I had lots of bags on cubes in the freezer to choose from.

ETA: sorry I meant to add my main point - this was less than 6 years ago, and the advice was probably different 6 years before that. I think every bub is different and just go with that. From my experience, bub will let you know if they are into solids or not once you do start.
    Last edited by Stretched; 16-05-2013 at 13:59.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure you can find the current official advice easily enough, so will just give you my experience so far:

My daughter was exclusively breastfed until 3 months, then 6/7 feeds were breastfeeds until 5 months.

At 5 months I started introducing her to some purees, because she so badly wanted what I was eating. I did that for about a week, but she hated being spoon fed so I stopped.

I started again at just over 5 1/2 months with baby led weaning... just giving her a piece of banana or something when I had breakfast. We did this for a couple of weeks, then at about 6 months we started doing lunch (of afternoon tea) as well, depending on what timing worked.

At almost 7 1/2 months, she still has the 2 meals a day (and is eating her lunch of chicken & pea omelette as we speak). Not sure when we'll go to 3 meals... she goes to bed fairly early so it doesn't really work at the moment.

So at 7 1/2 months she has 4 breast feeds, 1 formula feed and 2 solid meals a day. It's working really well for us at the moment. I think really, you've got to decide what will work for you. My sister was exclusively breastfed until 10 months (as that's what the midwife my mum knew at the time thought was best), and she turned out fine.

Good luck deciding!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the great advice. Was really helpfull. Think we will keep breastfeeding for a while longer because it's woking for us and from what i have read, he doesnt physically NEED solids for a while yet. I think i was more worried about him possibly taking to solids really well and ditching the boob too early!
    Now to just get my mother off my back about it. She's keen to start feeding him because she's "missed out" this time with the milk feeds as i dont use bottles. Grrrr. "DD was eating by now, cmon!..." Grrrrr.