+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newborn night feeds

How often does your baby feed during the night?

My baby is 12 days old, since bringing her home we have not established what her night feeds are truly like. I guess it's different every night.

Two nights ago I was at the doctor so she had to have a formula bottle, she took 100ml and didn't wake for nine hours, I was so worried I took her for a check up and she was fine.

Last night, she went down at 830, woke at 1 and didn't want to go back to sleep for her whole night.

Now tonight she had a good feed between 8 and 9, then a little awake time then a short 5 minute feed around 940, by 10pm she was settled and asleep however didn't wake until 3 for a feed. So some 7 hours of sleep.

Just wanted to hear other people's night feed routines?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Neither of my kids were into any sort of a routine until about 6 weeks from memory? That was when they started to self regulate the times they were waking to a degree.

Up until that 6 week mark though, they fluctuated just how you described. Some times only wanted to feed every hour, other times they would sleep for most of the night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 5 months old and still doesn't stick to a feeding routine overnight (sorry!).
    At only 12 days old though I wouldn't be worrying about routine and just going with the flow. I know it can be exhausting though.
    Are you demand feeding through the day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't expect her to be in a routine yet. I was just considered that she only woke once during the night.

She is demand feeding during the day. She tends to have three hourly feeds and sometimes wants more in between.

She was weighed the other day and she had put on 368 grams since birth which is good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like she is doing really well - and considering the gain I wouldn't worry about her only waking once for a night feed, she will make up for it during the day.

For the first couple of weeks DS2 fed 2-3 hourly overnight, then he got sick and fed more frequently and was really difficult to settle from 2/3am onwards. He's now 4.5 weeks and semms to have settled into a routine of cluster feeding from around 4 - 7pm, then wakes for a feed around 1/2am and again around 5/5.30am.

I am appreciating all the sleep I am getting atm though, as I know (from experience with DS1) their sleep habits can change so much over their first 12 months
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 16-05-2013 at 07:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try to increase her sleeping time. You may replace your bed mattress with a good quality one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At 12 days old there was no routine here, not till a few months old really. Just fed lots to increase supply and kept it bright during the day and dark at night, eventually she realized which one was best for sleeping.