+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Did you choose to labour before scheduled c-section?

Hi,

I came across an article today that had a section about the benefits for bub and Mum of labouring before scheduled c-section. Did you choose to or did it happen spontaneously? I have had a emerg c-section and laboured beforehand, so looking at next time.

How long do they usually let you labour for before performing the scheduled c-section? Or how far dilated? I am guessing it couldn't go on too long as you wouldn't want bub too far down the birth canal?

Do hospitals usually allow this?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i understand that labouring is not required for a scheduled c section.. if you do happen to go into labour prior to the c section, then its called an emergency ceaserian. i dont see any benefits in labouring prior to a scheduled one as you will be needing that energy etc for your recovery. i also think if you do have x amount of time actually labouring, your recovery can be alot harder. i dont know why anybody would even bother putting themselves thru painful labour when they are scheduled for a C?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Minchi, yep I can totally understand that and have those same thoughts myself. I am interested though by this statement and others I have read online regarding the benefits: "Make sure she knows that having a c-section after labour has started holds more health benefits than a planned c-section. Her baby will have had a chance to initiate labour and make the physiological changes needed for life outside the uterus. They will be lesslikely to suffer respiratory distress and end up in special care. In addition both mother and baby will have the important cocktail of hormones that assist with bonding. Even if she chooses a repeat c-section she can insist on going into labour first".

I believe also the hormones help with milk production and breastfeeding.

Recovery will be harder because you will be tired? Is that why it would be harder?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nothing to add but subbing, I am very curious for #2 (this could be years away..!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes recovery will be harder as even tho you may not feel tired, your body will be exhausted and then have to recover from the c section. i dont think any ob would allow that as scheduled c sections are booked in and if they allowed that, then lots of staff would be on standby just wasting time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember for my son I had an emergency c-section, I labored for 17 hours and the recovery after all that was horrible I was exhausted. With my daughter I had an elective and I had energy to get up and walk around the next day. I would never put anyone through labour if they are having an elective c-section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had contractions and intense placental abruption pain but not labour / dialation as such before a crash c-section under a GA. Didn't meet my DD for 15-16 hours and didn't hold her for 2 weeks, my milk came through in abundence and there were no bonding issues. I would say there are many many women who have done just fine without needing to labour.

Also, my mum was in labour for only 2 hours before she had me - she only just made it to the hospital in time. I would think it would be too risky and unpredictable to allow it before a scheduled cs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never went into labour and I had no issues with bonding at all. We had attachment issues breast feeding but that would have happened regardless.

A planned CS is safer than an emergency one so I don't think it's good to go into labour first. I recovered really quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. This has been very helpful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad who is a doctor said it would be good if I did labour a bit before c sec .. I don't plan to .. But wouldn't mind going into labour before scheduled c sec if it happened

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

Tippytoes  (20-05-2013)