+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How did you get over the fear?

Hi ladies,

I am looking at VBAC and been feeling really empowered thinking about this all day. I have started looking up useful information about it and came across this article which I thought was great http://midwifethinking.com/2011/02/2...of-a-molehill/

I know this is possible from reading lots of stories on here and other places. I really want to give this a go next time but I am just too afraid of the statistics. In this article she states in different ways:
    • 50 out of 10,000 will rupture
    • 9,950 out of 10,000 will not rupture
    • 1 in 200 will rupture
    • 199 out of 200 will not rupture
    • 0.5% will rupture
    • 99.5% will not rupture
    A week after baby was born I had a small haemorrhagic stroke that has left me with permanent vision loss in my peripheral vision. I was that rare statistic. So I just can't seem to get past the fact that that I could be that 1 person in the 200 that will have a uterine rupture. I have been that person to have a rare complication so who is to say it won't happen again?

I had an emerg c-section due to foetal distress. I got to 5cm. I didn't cope with my labour well at all and was quite traumatised by all events. I just can't seem to get out of my head that I want to do it again, be in control next time and give birth to my baby vaginally. I don't know if it is for selfish reasons though!

How do you get past that statistic? Or have you had a rupture and did it all go ok?

She also states: "Make sure she knows that having a c-section after labour has started holds more health benefits than a planned c-section. Her baby will have had a chance to initiate labour and make the physiological changes needed for life outside the uterus. They will be lesslikely to suffer respiratory distress and end up in special care. In addition both mother and baby will have the important cocktail of hormones that assist with bonding. Even if she chooses a repeat c-section she can insist on going into labour first".

Couldn't labour still cause the rupture? I like this above plan

Would love some advice! Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tippytoes For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi balletbaby.

I am yet to vbac but wanted to respond. Your labour and delivery sure sounds like it was a stressful one! I can understand you being uncertain. I found it helpful to get a hold of my labour notes and discuss it with a midwife. I don't know the circumstances of your labour, but for me I can see that a whole lot of intervention led to my c section and I am gradually gaining back the confidence I once had in my body's ability to birth vaginally. Do your research and maybe debrief with someone about what happened with your previous labour and decide what's best for you - vbac or elective c.

Oh and just a couple of points on the rupture stuff. I think a lot of studies don't tend to screen for induced labours, so once you take those out the rate is probably lower than 1 in 200. Also, while I'm sure it's awful, rupture doesn't translate to 1 in 200 babies will die.

All the best with your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing - our labours sound identical except I only got to 4cm, but I was terrified of dilating even further as I was already in complete agony and thought I was at my pain threshold. Not sure if I'd like to try for VBAC next time as I'm frightened of rupturing also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi futuremamma, thanks so much for responding. Your advice is very helpful. I like the idea of debriefing with a midwife!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You might also be interested in looking into placenta accreta - the rate at which it occurs in women who have had a c-section is roughly the same as the rate for uterine rupture. Also, women who are labouring for the first time are not free from the risk of uterine rupture. Just food for thought. I don't mean to sound as though I'm trying to persuade you to try to have a vbac!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to futuremamma For This Useful Post:

Tippytoes  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Erk you poor thing JR. I actually was only 1 cm when I arrived at the hospital after 12 hours of painful contractions and that is what my face looked like too when they told me. I dilated to 5 after the lovely and wonderful epi

I am going to look at 2 options - VBAC and also labouring with planned c-section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks futuremamma, I appreciate any help! Will take a look at all the info

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi OP

I have had a VBAC and I must admit there were times where I was terrified in the lead up to it. Its important to know that whilst the stats may be 1 in 200 women experience rupture during a vbac it is a little misleading as firstly not all ruptures end catastrophically (it is actually very rare) and also some of those diagnosed ruptures are of women who attempted VBAC and were taken for another emergency cesarean and the OB noted there was thining or minor tearing of the uterus.

The very best advice I can give you is to set yourself up with a fantastic support network for your labor. I had my husband and he was very supportive of natural birth and willing to do anything to help me get it and secondly I hired a doula. She was FANTASTIC. I would never have gotten through my pregnancy without her being a phone call away to help me get perspective when I was freaking out.

I understand your fear about being that small statistic OP but remember there are also statistics of things going wrong with cesareans. VBACs are actually less risky than a repeat cesarean.

If you feel passionate about birthing your bub naturally go for it! My VBAC was the most empowering beautiful experience of my life. I have never regretted fighting for it. Try and focus on finding positive VBAC stories (I watched heaps on youtube and would sit and cry watching them... damn hormones lol).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you theophania. Yours sounded amazing. Good for you! Thanks also for the advice. I agree, next time I would certainly get a doula.
    😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im not pregnant yet but plan on a vbac next time round.

This thread has actually helped ease me mind. I want to experience labor the way we were supossed to. Im not happy i had a c section to this day

My section wasn't an emergency section so does that mean there is less chance of complications with a vbac?