+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toilet Training Help Please! - One step forward two steps back

So when my DS turned 2, he seemed to show quite a bit of interest in toilet training. So I thought what the hell i'll give it go and to my surprise, he got it almost straight away. He was completely dry during the day within the first day or two and actually coming to me and letting me know when he needed to do a wee/poo. We used lots of praise and he was so proud of himself. We used the potty for a few weeks and then graduated to one of those seats with the little steps attached. I couldn't believe it as I never imagined it was going to be that easy. I was right. Fast forward another few weeks and all of a sudden he stopped telling me when he needed to go and started having constant accidents during the day (he was in undies). I starting having to prompt him every time and just sitting him on the toilet if he hadn't been for a while. After constant wet pants (not to mention the other things he has also weed on) he is now back in pull ups and I feel like the whole thing has gone out the window. I don't know what happened and am not sure where to go from here?? I am in no hurry to toilet train (and never was) and I don't want to turn it into a negative thing. Should I just call it quits and try again in a couple of months or just keep plodding along as we are (he is currently 26 months)? I'm really at a loss. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I know that's quite an essay, but advice anyone??

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Perhaps change the reward system. Is he food motivated? My two were. We would give one smartie for each wee or poo in the toilet. I would keep plodding along and avoid pull ups if at all possible. I know what you mean though. My DD did a poo in her pants in the GP's waiting room this arvo and she hasn't done one in her pants for about two weeks. But accidents are to be expected

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (16-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't go back to pull ups!!! I know it's hard but once you start you can't go back!!!! It's all about consistency and persistence. Use a sticker one for a wee , 2 for a poo for rewards. This makes it easier when your out and about too as you can keep a sheet stashed in your bag. I know this is easier said than done but it will work. At one point I used to have to sit with my arms around my toddler while she was on the toilet to convince her to stay on, and she would scream at me for a nappy rather than use the toilet and she started off great , but after a couple of months she is completely toilet trained(except for sleep nappies) good luck hun xx

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bumpmakes2 For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (16-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    Perhaps change the reward system. Is he food motivated? My two were. We would give one smartie for each wee or poo in the toilet. I would keep plodding along and avoid pull ups if at all possible. I know what you mean though. My DD did a poo in her pants in the GP's waiting room this arvo and she hasn't done one in her pants for about two weeks. But accidents are to be expected
    Thank you both so much for responding. Giving a reward is a fantastic idea! (I feel a bit silly for not thinking of it!). DS is very food motivated and I just happen to have a pack of smarties in the cupboard As of this morning he is back in undies and so far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpmakes2 View Post
    Don't go back to pull ups!!! I know it's hard but once you start you can't go back!!!! It's all about consistency and persistence. Use a sticker one for a wee , 2 for a poo for rewards. This makes it easier when your out and about too as you can keep a sheet stashed in your bag. I know this is easier said than done but it will work. At one point I used to have to sit with my arms around my toddler while she was on the toilet to convince her to stay on, and she would scream at me for a nappy rather than use the toilet and she started off great , but after a couple of months she is completely toilet trained(except for sleep nappies) good luck hun xx
    Thanks Bumpmakes2. I knew I shouldn't be going back to pull ups, I suppose I was just struggling with it all. I would ask if he needed to do a wee/poo, to which he would respond "no", only to then have an accident 2 minutes later! Plus I have a 4 month old as well so I already feel like I have poo coming out of my ears LOL! We will stay in undies now and I like the sticker idea too, so will give that a go.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

threechooks  (16-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it's hard especially when it seems like your just constantly changing them all the time, but I promise given time and persistence you will get through it!!