+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck!
    We've put our plans on hold for a while because I stopped taking my meds to try and ended up having a relapse

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so glad to find this thread. We will be waiting to tic until Dh and I have both finished studies (me 2014, dh 2016), but the main issue that worries me is my BP. I'm on 50mg zoloft and 1000mg epilim, and the epilim is a definitely no-go. I'll be very interested to read how everyone goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I am coming around to the idea of staying on my anti-D's while we are TTC and during pregnancy. I feel like its the only way for me to stay happy and less likely to have depression. I am starting to feel ready for another bubba now that DS is 15 months at the moment I'm on 50mg of Zoloft
    Did anyone else stay on meds whilst TTC and pregnant?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have bipolar type 2 and have been off
    my meds (seroquel then lithium) since sep/oct last yr so we could try for a baby. I haven't suffered any ill effects or relapse as yet and I'm now newly pregnant. I'm fully aware that I may relapse. My psychiatrist has said over 90% chance but I'd rather deal with that if and when it happens rather than take meds when I'm pregnant and otherwise feeling well.

I'd be interested in getting a single room in the public hospital after delivery also as sleep or lack thereof is a trigger for me too. I may have to go back to my psychiatrist and have her contact the hospital for me. I have t seen her since Xmas when I was discharged from her care cos I'm doing so well.

Baby #1 due 28/03/2014!!
    18 months trying, pregnant 1st round Clomid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!

That's so great that you haven't relapsed! Unfortunately I did when I came off my meds so it looks like ill be staying on them

But my doctor and psychiatrist are both happy for me to do that and the medication I'm on is their choice for pregnancy anyway so fingers crossed!!!

Good luck with your pregnancy - keep us updated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JesskaMay View Post
    Congratulations!

That's so great that you haven't relapsed! Unfortunately I did when I came off my meds so it looks like ill be staying on them

But my doctor and psychiatrist are both happy for me to do that and the medication I'm on is their choice for pregnancy anyway so fingers crossed!!!

Good luck with your pregnancy - keep us updated!
    I got two second opinions about my meds in regards to pregnancy on top of my regular psychiatrist. I went to the mental health clinic at royal women's hospital.
    There are some issues with taking seroquel or lithium. There can be a small increase in heart malformations, withdrawal for the baby, breast feeding isn't the best. I was thinking I might go ahead on them anyway but the last straw was when a blood test showed my thyroid was beginning to be effected by the lithium. I was going to have to take a thyroid supplement and I just decided enough was enough and asked to be weened off my meds.

I'm really in two minds about whether the drugs did any good anyway. I feel better now then when I was on them. Constantly going to the doc every week made me more depressed and unable to focus on anything else as it was a constant reminder.

My psychiatrist says taking antidepressants isn't a good choice for treating some bipolar as it can trigger 'ups'. She suspected Zoloft might have done this for me but we can't be sure. I'm not really sure if I've had any ups and its probably more likely I suffer from recurring depressive episodes.

Baby #1 due 28/03/2014!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3cats1pug View Post
    I got two second opinions about my meds in regards to pregnancy on top of my regular psychiatrist. I went to the mental health clinic at royal women's hospital.
    There are some issues with taking seroquel or lithium. There can be a small increase in heart malformations, withdrawal for the baby, breast feeding isn't the best. I was thinking I might go ahead on them anyway but the last straw was when a blood test showed my thyroid was beginning to be effected by the lithium. I was going to have to take a thyroid supplement and I just decided enough was enough and asked to be weened off my meds.

I'm really in two minds about whether the drugs did any good anyway. I feel better now then when I was on them. Constantly going to the doc every week made me more depressed and unable to focus on anything else as it was a constant reminder.

My psychiatrist says taking antidepressants isn't a good choice for treating some bipolar as it can trigger 'ups'. She suspected Zoloft might have done this for me but we can't be sure. I'm not really sure if I've had any ups and its probably more likely I suffer from recurring depressive episodes.

Baby #1 due 28/03/2014!!
    My bipolar is fairly mild - so far the Zoloft has been great for me. I don't mind the 'ups' so I have opted not to take any mood stabilisers as of yet and if we are going to be falling pregnant then I definitely want to avoid them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dr and psychiatrist have given us the all clear to fall pregnant on medication

So exciting

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Really happy for you JesskaMay. Maintaining your mental health around your childbearing years is vital, it is so easy for it to slip. I've been through postnatal depression 3 times, well still managing it really...

I'm glad you have such good support. Not only is zoloft the best one for pregnancy, it is also the best for breastfeeding.

Best of luck with conceiving that bub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

JesskaMay  (25-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Windupbird View Post
    That's great to hear. Good luck with everything! I know everyone is different, but just as FYI, in the period leading up to TTC (and under the supervision of my psychiatrist) I weaned off my mood stabiliser (Lamotrogine) as well as the small dose of Zyprexa (anti-psychotic) I was on and just stayed on Zyban (anti-depressant). This has worked so well that we decided I probably no longer needed the first two, but have them in a back pocket in case my mood were ever to falter.

DD Dec 2011, DS July 2013!
    Hi
    Were you taking zyban while you were pregnant as I'm TTC and taking zyban?? Thanks