+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default How did you cope when you realised that your SN child may never attend main****** sch

ool? How did you know that they might have to go to a SN unit or school? Did you therapy providers tell you, or did you just know?

I have an interview with the SN unit at the local school next week. I feel so deflated. The ASD diag was hard enough, but I had heard all these stories about kids going to EI and doing therapies and in a couple of years it was like they had never been Autistic, and I kind of assumed that is what it would be like for us.

Another thing that makes it hard, is that he has a twin, and he will be in main****** school, I feel like he is being left behind

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ohh (((hugs))).

Would the main****** school be able to have him there with extra support? They tend to be leaning towards having sn kids in main****** schools lately, well around here they are anyway. At least to try and then if they aren't coping then they consider the sn schools.

I'm sure you thought of that already though so I'm probably not being very helpful sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

For me, with my DD, we have been lucky enough to be able to move interstate for her to attend a tiny country school with excellent facilities, so we were able to send her into main****** WITH all the benefits of a special school.

But before that, we were looking at a special autistic school. The way i viewed it was this: i would rather she was a "normal kid" in a special school, than "the special kid" in a normal school. I didnt want her to be the one with the Aide and getting special treatment.

As i said, we have been lucky with her main****** school. There are only 9 kids in her class and two classroom Aides that are shared amongst all the kids so although she's the only Autistic, she's not singled out. The school also implemented a new "Movement" class each week for all the kids which draws on ASD sensory movement therapy. The kids roll and spin and jump on tramps and crash mats. They have just been fantastic in meeting her needs but by getting all the kids to be involved so she's not "the special kid".

If we had remained in Adelaide, i'm positive i would have sent her to an Autistic school. I know many other parents of ASD kids who have had great success and mostly the kids are fully intergrated into main****** by high school. My understanding is, the sooner they get targeted help, the higher their chances of normal functioning. So i was happy to have her in a special school for this, at least early on.

I can appreciate it would be a very tough call with twins
    The only advice i can offer is go with your gut. Mums know best. And its not to say what ever decision you make is final and binding. If what you choose initially is not working, try another route.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    ool? How did you know that they might have to go to a SN unit or school? Did you therapy providers tell you, or did you just know?
    Sorry, just realised i didnt actually answer your questions!

DD's paed said her case was so severe she would almost certainly struggle in main****** school. And by meeting with the local schools and enquiring about their facilities, i knew none of them would be suitable for her. She would have required a dedicated Aide every day as well as other therapies out of school and extra tutoring.