+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breast feeding help!

Hi ladies,

My son is 1 week & 3 days old & he has started to only wake up once a night for a feed. We will usually wait up till his last feed which will be at 9-11pm & then he has been waking once during the night, then early morning & tonight he has slept from 10pm-4:30am.

Should I be worried about my supply going down because he is only feeding 1-3 times during the night?

Thanks,
    Cassie

Thanks
    Reviews
    If bubs is gaining weight and hydrated and not jaundice or any health issues you can allow them to sleep but if your concerned you can do a dream feed where you change bubs nappy while their sleeping and pop them on the breast and see if they'll take and have a feed. My lo didn't take to this but every baby is different but I don't wake my baby up to feed I allow him to sleep but that is what works for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Being so young I would think he needs to be fed more often through the night. Up until 3 weeks old, I would wake my daughter 3-hourly to feed through the night. after that, I just let her wake me up when she was hungry. Your supply isn't an issue though because it doesn't matter if you don't have much milk at that time because he's asleep. If his sleep pattern changes or you decide to wake him for feeds, your supply will adjust accordingly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I probably wouldn't wake my boy as long as he was healthy. I was told be a pediatrician that the 'rule' to wake newborns every 3 hours was something falsely spread by midwives. He advised letting bub go for up to 6 hours, but wasn't really fussed.

Different people have different views, I'd speak with your pediatrician if you're worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Firstly, lucky lucky you!!

I agree with VicPark - if bub is healthy and has plenty of wet nappies, I wouldn't wake him either.

Is he perhaps feeding more during the day to accommodate the night already? We are supposed to aim for a minimum 8 feeds while b/f in 24hrs I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes.. I'm very lucky.. He's a good boy I'm going to start tracking how much I'm feeding. When he was first born he would do little 5-10 min feeds every 2-3 hours. Now he is doing longer feeds, less frequently. But I'm pretty sure we would be doing 8 feeds in 24 hours. He has got a little jaundice, but the midwife said to just pop his bassinet in the sun near a window - (but I live in Brisbane & we haven't had any sun the last couple of days)

Should I be worried that he's sleeping so much? He basically wakes up for a feed & falls asleep straight away. The only time he stays awake is if I have him on his activity mat for tummy time... & thats probably for about 30 mins.. Should he be staying awake for long periods of time at this age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't be worried about awake times. I think at that age my bub used to last 45 mins max.

Check out this link it has *average* awake times for babies..

http://www.mybabysleepguide.com/2009...-time.html?m=1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the link Vic Park... I think I'm a little paranoid lol. He also isn't opening his eyes fully yet. He was 11 days early... So I'm not too sure whether that's a factor.. He does open them but not fully. Is that quite normal at this stage?

Thanks
    Reviews
    do you think he is too sleepy too feed, or do you think he is just getting what he needs and sleeping cos he is full and happy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your bub is still so young, take advantage of the sleepy times now before it all changes!

If he can last 30mins of tummy & mat time then great. But it's common for babies to just feed and go straight back to sleep at that age.

My DS2 is 10wks today and still only lasts an average of 1.5hrs (which includes 45mins of feeding).

ETA - I also reccomend recording feed times if you're a concerned first time mummy. I actually have an app that I still use now with DS2 even though I demand feed, I like to keep a track of his daily feeds (had weight issues in past).
    Last edited by Pesca77; 15-05-2013 at 09:17.