+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breast feeding at 34w

Hi just a question. I've been reading some posts about people trying to kick start their labour by pumping. Now the thing is I am 34 weeks and still feeding my toddler. Today though I noticed that it feeding him I started having a BH. Should I be concerned? I've fed through a pregnancy before but don't remember BH coming on because if feeding. I really don't want an early bub. I want him to stay to full term.

I think what I am trying to say is could breastfeeding start my labour off early??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi. I don't know the answer but would be interested to here as I am 38 weeks pregnant and was wondering if there was any benefit to starting to expressing to naturally induce labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ho, I was actually 34w and trying to induce labour, as I was to have an induction within a few days if labour didn't start (bub was at risk ~ had to exit). Although nipple stimulation is apparently helpful in starting labour, your labour won't start until bub's lungs are fully mature, releasing certain traces into the amnio-fluid, so I don't think you'd be at risk of starting prem labour by pumping/bf.

If your braxton hicks become painful, or powerful and regular like clockwork, go straight to hospy! But this shouldn't kickstart the cavalcade of labour unless your body is ready, and bub is ready, too.

Sages ~ nipple stimulation rather than expressing is really beneficial if you want to get it going. There are some great threads in here about natural labour induction, too. Of course if you do express, it will be very early colostrum and in the order of 2-10mls, but save it in the freezer, as it may come in handy.

Good luck for your births!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My toddler is drinking the colostrum so there is no chance of freezing it lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks baroness. I am the Same so trying natural induction techniques now :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I breastfed my toddler through pregnancy and baby was born at 41 weeks. Plenty of women do.