+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What is the difference getting immunization at GP vs immunization clinic?

I am new to Oz. Based on my understanding vaccines are free at immunization clinic. So why do some still go GP to get their baby vaccinated. Is there a difference?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If the GP bulk bills, then the vaccines (on the standard schedule) will be free at the GP also.

The family will likely have an existing relationship with the GP and would rather work with someone they know and trust. (For example, the nurse at my GP (who does the immunisations) is a former midwife and is really experienced with babies and children. I feel really comfortable with her. The doctors even defer to her for these appointments. Typically she'll run them, and they'll just sign where required.)
    Last edited by sweetseven; 14-05-2013 at 21:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cost is the difference! Unless your GP bulk bills. Plus you don't have to be part of a massive line!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My GP doesn't charge and the nurse actually gives the shot. She has a great bedside manner which makes all the difference now DS is a bit older and more aware of what's going on.

We did the council ones when he was very little but now I feel not being part if the crying production line makes the whole thing less stressful for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Despite having a great GP, I have mostly used an immunisation clinic. When my first was born, I would go with my mother's group and we'd get our bubs done on the same morning. Having company while waiting made the time pass quicker!
    What I liked most of all was that there were several nurses so they would count down and inject at the same time. It was all over and done with in a jiffy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been to the immunisation clinic for all except the first vacs at 6 weeks.

The clinic has always been great - the nurses are good with the babies, very quick with all injections happening at once, knowledgeable and able to answer all questions. I try to get there early so we don't have to wait long.

The first vacs were with the doctor and nurse at our local practice. There was a long wait between seeing the nurse for the rotaviris and the doctor - the doctor was slow and took a while between the injections meaning DS got upset, settled down and then upset again. The positive about the doctor was that we got a check-up done at the same time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The difference I have found is when you go to the GP is that they *usually* see the baby/child prior to immunising them for a general health/development check. This is either with the practice's Nurse or with the GP. If they don't bulk bill for under 16 yrs old, you will have to pay.

The immunisation clinic (in my experience) is free, there is no development check beforehand. What I do like about the clinic's in my experience with them is that if you're a Nursing Mother they will let you feed/comfort your baby straight away (some even during) and once the immunisation has taken place require you to stay for 10 minutes or so to see if there are any immediate adverse reactions. The Nurse's also get you to physically sight the injection labels and ask that you can verify and see that they're giving the right injection etc. I have never had this with the GPs I have gone to. They are also quite proactive with reminding you, the adult, about any necessary boosters etc you may need.

All that said, the clinics often are VERY busy, so it can be rather difficult if you have other children with you that you need to occupy whilst you wait etc.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 14-05-2013 at 21:26. Reason: typos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    What I do like about the clinic's in my experience with them is that if you're a Nursing Mother they will let you feed/comfort your baby straight away (some even during)
    I've always taken my babies to the GP and always breastfed them for the immunisations. (For a young bub, I would feed during to help them stay still, for an older one just after for comfort.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    I've always taken my babies to the GP and always breastfed them for the immunisations. (For a young bub, I would feed during to help them stay still, for an older one just after for comfort.)

My GP is the same, I fed in an empty office. Also, the immunizations are bulk billed, so no queue and get her checked at the same time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    The immunisation clinic (in my experience) is free, there is no development check beforehand. What I do like about the clinic's in my experience with them is that if you're a Nursing Mother they will let you feed/comfort your baby straight away (some even during) and once the immunisation has taken place require you to stay for 10 minutes or so to see if there are any immediate adverse reactions. The Nurse's also get you to physically sight the injection labels and ask that you can verify and see that they're giving the right injection etc. I have never had this with the GPs I have gone to. They are also quite proactive with reminding you, the adult, about any necessary boosters etc you may need.
    My GP/nurse always get me to look and initial against the vaccine(s) that they are giving, require you to stay minimum of 15 mins afterwards and encourage feeding. They also give you a free bottle of baby Panadol afterwards lol. Our GP also checks DD/SD before hand, is there when they are weighed/measured and pops back in during the 15 min wait afterwards. They have two nurses on so DD can get jabbed at once which I like and so far I've received a follow up call 3 days and 7 days after shots to check all is well.

Thankfully it's all bulk billed and I don't feel as annoyed at paying so much for normal visits seeming they seem to "go the extra mile" during immunisations.

As DD was prem, she required extra shots and our GP organised it all and it was also bulk billed which was good.

I don't even know where an immunisation clinic is near me. :/