+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This reminded me of an experience from the other side of the argument (although I absolutely know where you're coming from, I've had some terrible experiences with vodafone!!!).

Dh an I are living in Germany and we try our hardest to speak German to people when we go out. We have "mastered" certain phrases that are used a lot and no matter how hard we try and say it perfectly, we suck and it shows on people's faces. Mostly we just get replied to in English which is frustrating in itself because we are trying to learn a second language! It's like they're saying "haha nice try, your German sucks, lets talk English now" (for the record, their English is very good).
    Anyway, bit off topic, just thought I'd share

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wusn't me wus ut? My kiwi accint confuses everyone und thuy ilways gut upsut.

I actually had similar experience today and my job involves medication, so not something you want stuffed up because you couldn't understand someone's accent.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Jellyfishie  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDL View Post
    This reminded me of an experience from the other side of the argument (although I absolutely know where you're coming from, I've had some terrible experiences with vodafone!!!).

Dh an I are living in Germany and we try our hardest to speak German to people when we go out. We have "mastered" certain phrases that are used a lot and no matter how hard we try and say it perfectly, we suck and it shows on people's faces. Mostly we just get replied to in English which is frustrating in itself because we are trying to learn a second language! It's like they're saying "haha nice try, your German sucks, lets talk English now" (for the record, their English is very good).
    Lol, I've had the same thing! I've put my best high school Italian into action only to be
    A) given a blank look as I've obviously muffed it up
    B) been replied to in English (usually with a mildly exasperated or sympathetic look for my efforts)
    C) replied to in such fluent Italian that I end up looking blankly back at them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I totally get this, feel awful but what can you do.
    Fed ex in Sydney rang Uni on Monday, saying there was an issue with a incoming chemical from America. I could hardly understand what she was saying, I kept telling her yes our lab had ordered it but we don't deal with the orders the order people do.. I vaguely worked out she wanted me to transfer her to the order section, I kept explaining I couldn't do that as yourve rung a lab not a office.. Then she said she'd send it back to America and hung up!!!!! This took about 30 mins out of my day! Then I had to ring back and explain I didn't want the chemical sent back! Spoke to an Australian this time!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I had this problem with a Dr in the ER when I was miscarrying. It was pretty awful, I had nfi what he was telling me, if I was still pregnant or what was going on. I basically went home, finished miscarrying and came back the next day. When I did French lessons at school I wouldnt have passed if I'd spoken with an accent no-one could understand. U thought the IELTS test was a little stricter than high school French, but I must be wrong.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app
    That's disgraceful Fearless! If a patient going through a miscarriage doesn't understand what the doctor is saying then the medical accreditation has failed! Sorry you had to go through that...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hey folks, I'm back and extra cranky after sending an email to the lady.

To clarify its a small company for an essential service and its not easy to get someone else to talk to. Fortunately I think I understand things now. Gotta love email.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm another one who is absolutely terrible at accents. It's so mortifying

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDL View Post

Do you go to language classes? I found the Germans to be lovely. Loved the fact that they spoke English back to me when I parroted phrases from the tour book language section... Suited me fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Do you go to language classes? I found the Germans to be lovely. Loved the fact that they spoke English back to me when I parroted phrases from the tour book language section... Suited me fine
    Not anymore. And yes they are very lovely! I think they just want to speak English most of the time. I heard they get very excited when they meet people who only speak English so they can practice, haha! Yeah it's good but we've been here a year now and don't know much. Classes are so expensive and we're talking more and more English to people the longer we're here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't believe it's racist to say you find a language barrier frustrating

We used to be thru optus and years ago had quite a few issues with our service. Clearly they outsource their customer service overseas and it was so unbelievably frustrating trying to understand each other.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (15-05-2013)