+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

I just don't get this idea that people who don't work or work minimal hours get paid for having a baby. Sorry I'm not intending to be inflammatory but I honestly don't get it. If we had a major crisis in population I'd get it, but we don't.
    I'm with you here Sonja

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    My husband works though and pays his taxes.... We are also saving the tax payer by hardly using CC. I'm the one that runs your P&C and runs the canteen. My role matters too? I support a cut to the BB, god knows we need to cost cut. But I see a real shift here.

With the BB going completely under the libs, I see a whole lot of SAHM's getting 4 hours a week for 12 months to get the PPL When ironically it would have been cheaper to pay them the BB lol
    I work part time, don't use childcare either, run the school book fairs as well as other fundraising, and am the treasurer for our school canteen.

We all do our bit. I'm not saying anyone's bit is more than anyone else's. This is not a stab at being a SAHM (which I have also been at times). I am only saying while I can understand the rationale for ppl I do not understand, and I have never understood the rationale for the bb. We only received it once, and we gave most of it to charity as it just felt wrong to get it on our incomes. I'm no martyr I'm just realistic about what this country can afford. If people who stay home receive other assistance or tax benefits then isn't that something?

I understand some people need it. But we are basically talking about people earning between $120k and $150k losing it (yes I realise it will probably be different when Liberals win).

I'm not picking a fight - just explaining why I'm saying I'm not sad if the bb goes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

hopefulmama2b  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read through everything nor have I had a chance to read exactly what's being cut/changed etc so I may be WAY off....
    But we are ttc no2 and I'm self employed, and not entitled to ppl soo was planning to use the bb as my "ppl" if that makes sense... Once pregnant and bub arrived I would be able to take a few weeks off. Which now, I still will be able too, but probably will still need to work one or two part days.... We are a low income family, so having it would of been nice so I didn't have to do them few days of work in the first few weeks.
    Last edited by trying4no2; 14-05-2013 at 23:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmama2b View Post
    I'm actually a sahm, I'm technically On mat leave but I am not returning. Like I said, I won't receive either payment if we have another baby. I have never relied on it.

But if you currently don't fit the criteria for the BB you would be on a household income of over 150k. It's a whole lot easier to budget on that than 50k....

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (14-05-2013),Theophania  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    I work part time, don't use childcare either, run the school book fairs as well as other fundraising, and am the treasurer for our school canteen.

We all do our bit. I'm not saying anyone's bit is more than anyone else's. This is not a stab at being a SAHM (which I have also been at times). I am only saying while I can understand the rationale for ppl I do not understand, and I have never understood the rationale for the bb. We only received it once, and we gave most of it to charity as it just felt wrong to get it on our incomes. I'm no martyr I'm just realistic about what this country can afford. If people who stay home receive other assistance or tax benefits then isn't that something?

I understand some people need it. But we are basically talking about people earning between $120k and $150k losing it (yes I realise it will probably be different when Liberals win).

I'm not picking a fight - just explaining why I'm saying I'm not sad if the bb goes.
    I know you aren't we are discussing, I'm not offended. But again, you are in the position of not needing it. If we have another baby, the truth is, we could live without in on 50k as we are so frugal. For me, it's frustrating that again, PPL can be easily circumvented by working a couple of hours yet I'm told to make my own way. Shouldn't a couple on 200k not need PPL under these assumptions in this thread? if you choose to have a baby don't expect the tax payer to give you money?

Similar to as I described - this is someone I know.....

She worked 1 shift a week before having her 4th child. Her bf got a full CL payment. She got 80% parenting payment. They got full FTB, she paid pretty much no tax. She got the PLL. Then under the libs, my husband works more hours than her, pays more tax. We receive significantly less CL. Yet we get nothing. Can you see why that annoys me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    But if you currently don't fit the criteria for the BB you would be on a household income of over 150k. It's a whole lot easier to budget on that than 50k....
    Tbh I'm not sure if we are over 150.. Over 100 definitely..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmama2b View Post
    Tbh I'm not sure if we are over 150.. Over 100 definitely..

According to the budget tonight currently the BB cut off is 150k. Don't get me wrong, you don't need to justify that. Good for you. But it's going to be much easier for you to pay for a baby than a family on 40k....

I would like to see the BB capped at 2k for first AND subsequent children. After 2 years ttc my youngest is almost 6 so all my baby stuff is basically stuffed lol I think that is fair given the PPL is much more.....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    I know you aren't we are discussing, I'm not offended. But again, you are in the position of not needing it. If we have another baby, the truth is, we could live without in on 50k as we are so frugal. For me, it's frustrating that again, PPL can be easily circumvented by working a couple of hours yet I'm told to make my own way. Shouldn't a couple on 200k not need PPL under these assumptions in this thread? if you choose to have a baby don't expect the tax payer to give you money?

Similar to as I described - this is someone I know.....

She worked 1 shift a week before having her 4th child. Her bf got a full CL payment. She got 80% parenting payment. They got full FTB, she paid pretty much no tax. She got the PLL. Then under the libs, my husband works more hours than her, pays more tax. We receive significantly less CL. Yet we get nothing. Can you see why that annoys me?
    I don't need the ppl and said in the other thread about TA's statement about ppl for higher income earners that it was unnecessary as the majority if us already receive it. I don't believe ppl should be paid to women earning over a certain amount.

I can't comment on your example of your friend as I've no idea what CL is or how family tax benefits work as we don't get them so to be completely honest I'm largely ignorant about these things. But I should clarify I don't agree with scrapping with bb entirely if it means people on low incomes will truly be worse off. My honest understanding was there were always other benefits as well as many tax benefits from having one partner stay at home. If that's not the case then obviously it's unfair.

It's not my nature to really worry about what other people get. Some people can fall into sh!t and come out smelling like roses. We paid a fortune for IVF treatments over the years only to see the rebate constantly reduced and to see forum after forum full of people saying why should the gov't or tax payers pay for my medical treatment to have a baby. Despite the fact we'd been paying the top tax bracket for several years and IVF was pretty much the first time we'd ever asked for anything back. Yep it burned me at the time so I get why anyone in your position would be angry about this too. If the libs get in I'm probably a lot better off but I don't want to raise my kids in a world where everyone's worth is tied to how much they earn.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (16-05-2013),gonnabeaGR8mum  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

I would like to see the BB capped at 2k for first AND subsequent children. After 2 years ttc my youngest is almost 6 so all my baby stuff is basically stuffed lol I think that is fair given the PPL is much more.....
    Trust me after 2 kids trashing baby stuff most of it is stuffed by the time #3 arrives no matter how quickly that is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

It's not my nature to really worry about what other people get. Some people can fall into sh!t and come out smelling like roses. We paid a fortune for IVF treatments over the years only to see the rebate constantly reduced and to see forum after forum full of people saying why should the gov't or tax payers pay for my medical treatment to have a baby. Despite the fact we'd been paying the top tax bracket for several years and IVF was pretty much the first time we'd ever asked for anything back. Yep it burned me at the time so I get why anyone in your position would be angry about this too. If the libs get in I'm probably a lot better off but I don't want to raise my kids in a world where everyone's worth is tied to how much they earn.
    Sure, I get what you are saying, and as a side, I think the whole IVF thing stinks. I know what it's like to be infertile and quite honestly our next step is IVF and it's simply out of reach.

But back to topic lol - I hope I say this in the right way, but when you are in a sound financial position, it's easy to say don't worry about others. Again, we could cope. But it's more the principle for me. What this new plan effectively says is that a woman working with a man at home gets quite a lot of money. But a man working with a woman at home will get nothing.

My DH is working plus studying to better himself. Why are his taxes less worthwhile than a woman paying less than half the tax he does just bc she's a woman? And really, that IS what it boils down to.

Again, I support the PPL, I just don't support the BB being completely cut...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Theophania  (15-05-2013)