+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think things have definitely changed since the bb was brought in. I got it for DD1 who is now nearly 8. The school she attends has changed dramatically apparently in the last 5 to 6 years from having a large population of families where one parent stayed home to now SAHPs far and away being in the minority. And we're in a suburb not particularly affluent but also not struggling - very much MOR.

I think what's interesting is the Howard gov't was all about the tradition of single income families yet the Abbott gov't (makes me sick to say that) will be about keeping both parents in the workforce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmama2b View Post
    Well for me yeah.. Ppl is acceptable.. You pay taxes, you get ppl in return. One of my relatives just had her fourth child, she is 26 and has never been in the work force but received BB for all four kids. I think a bonus for having a baby is silly, I'm much happier with ppl, even though it means I won't get either when\if we have another baby
    I agree with this - if you are currently working, and giving up work to have a baby, then the PPL goes some way to covering part of your income while you are on parental leave. If you are not currently working, then you are not giving up income to have a baby, so technically there is no "missed income" to recover. If you are already receiving payments/benefits from Centrelink, you will still keep receiving them once the baby is born, so an extra "bonus" for having a baby seems uneccesary to me.

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Shouldn't a couple on 200k not need PPL under these assumptions in this thread? if you choose to have a baby don't expect the tax payer to give you money?
    If a couple is on 200K due to both partners are working, then it can probably be assumed that they will be giving up a portion of their wage when one of them takes time off for parental leave. Bearing in mind that the PPL rate is at mimimum wage, if the parent usually earns more than the mimimum, then they will still be earning less than they normally would. PPL is designed to support people who lose some of their income when they take time out of the workforce to have a child.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I have to take issue with the notion that SAHMs are all of a sudden going to be worse off come March next year.
    They won't be. They will be in exactly the same position they would have been.....To put it bluntly, SAHP don't earn anything so there is no income to replace. Working parents have income to be replaced.
    Agreed. I am not saying that SAHP parents do no provide a valuable contribution to society, they do. But it is not a contribution that needs to be recognised or rewarded with a monetary bonus.

I work part-time and SAH part-time where I do SAHP things like volunteer at the canteen, supervise excursions etc. My "paying job" is no more important or valuable to society than my "SAH job". But if I take time of my paying job to have a child, without PPL my family would lose income that I would normally bring in. If I take time off my SAH job to have a child, then I will not be losing anything financially as I don't receive income for this job anyway.
    Last edited by buffykaz; 15-05-2013 at 16:22.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to buffykaz For This Useful Post:

MsTruth  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    That's what the centrelink lady said when I called up to ask.

I might have to go in in person and get someone else to have a look.

Is it bad that I really can't be bothered? I had so much trouble with Centrelink while at uni that I just gave up on it!

Either way, I'm glad we're not relying on it, and if we get it, it'll go into a high interest account and not be touched anyway!
    Do an application online. After I did mine I had to send in some paperwork verifying my hours, I sent them 10 months worth of pay slips.

They made a mistake and I got a letter saying I didn't meet the criteria and if I thought I should be entitled I could make an appeal (Was entitled, so that got sorted), Worse that could happen is you waste 20 minutes of your life and get a letter saying your ineligible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Are you sure rainbowroad?

I thought provided you had worked 300 and something hours in the last ten months and didn't have more than 8 weeks between work days you qualified?
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    I've been thinking about this overnight. I really think that we will see more government policies to keep women in the workforce or make being a SAHM so unattractive most will be encouraged to rejoin the workforce. eg PPL, childcare rebates etc. My prediction is that with baby boomers exiting the workforce / levels of taxation required to support an aged population / international economic climate that the government will be actively encouraging workers to stay employed.
    This really isn't a secret, the current rate of workplace participation in Australia is untenable, and the main group underepresented is women of childbearing age. Future governments will have to find a way to increase participation while also balancing the need for population growth. This is why a robust parental (not just maternal) leave system with more flexible working arrangements is required.
    Last edited by Euphrosyne; 15-05-2013 at 17:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm not against scaling back the baby bonus... And moving it under the FTB umbrella so the income cap is tighter.

But I would like to know what each politician/political party/parliament are doing to contribute to budget savings.
    It shouldn't only be the plebs that suffer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    I've been thinking about this overnight. I really think that we will see more government policies to keep women in the workforce or make being a SAHM so unattractive most will be encouraged to rejoin the workforce. eg PPL, childcare rebates etc. My prediction is that with baby boomers exiting the workforce / levels of taxation required to support an aged population / international economic climate that the government will be actively encouraging workers to stay employed.

I don't have any links to back this up, but my sister lived in the UK for 10 years and friends of hers who still live there have told her the UK government has announced they want all SAHMs to go back to work to save the British economy. I can see the same thing happening here. (off to search for links).

I don't really care about the baby bonus anyway. It was always just a cheap vote buying stunt of the Howard government and was never going to be sustainable policy.
    I'm not sure that the baby bonus was the best way to encourage parenthood (in fact, I'm on record as saying that I'd rather it was distributed as grocery vouchers which is wayyyyy too controversial!).

However - it was better than nothing. It recognises that families who have babies are doing the economy a service. We're raising future taxpayers.

And I have serious issues with the idea of SAHM's (or dads, in DH's case) being forced back to work without recognition of the vital service they perform. I'm not sure whether you mean that they should return to work after their children are at school, COC, or after the initial year or so of maternity leave is up, but our children have benefited very much from having a SAHP. And it makes running households much less stressful, which leaves the wage-earner more energy to focus on their actual work. Of course, flexible arrangements where both parents work / share care are excellent ideas, too, but we have to be careful not to undervalue the importance of a lot of the unpaid work that SAHPs do by assuming that they don't really "work" and don't contribute to the economy.

My DH runs a small business from home as well as caring for H, attempting the dishes, washing (always a mountain!), packing lunches, attending school events etc. Our kids' schoolwork wouldn't get done and we'd be a heck of a lot worse of in nearly every respect if he didn't do what he does. It's not a bludge, as some assume. And, most importantly, he's raising a heap of nice, intelligent, responsible, future tax-paying citizens who will repay his effort a hundredfold in monetary terms!

And we weren't eligible for PPL because we received the BB, apparently.
    Last edited by mrsd; 15-05-2013 at 22:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
    And we weren't eligible for PPL because we received the BB, apparently.
    That applies to everyone, you can only get PPL, OR BB. Not both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'd be happy to gesee it go, but given it's part of FTB A limit is lower) it's not really going as such.

RedLips would you get it as part of FTB A (if you're not working)? I see PPL very differently to BB (not that I get either as I didn't qualify 3rd time around).
    Yes, I would, but as I said I'm not concerned about not getting it (because it's just a bonus for me), but mums that work but aren't eligible for ppl won't have bb as an option anymore and that sucks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just read that Abbott is quoted as saying he is also slashing the school kids bonus if they're elected in September .... Looks like they're going to be cutting lots for families , which is saving the country bug money however, didn't they just get a huge pay rise?
    hope they all do their bit..

Eta http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/...-1226643423650