+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    BTW, that was an honest question. I don't understand why people are hating this so much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    That's the thing though, some families will be worse off. We would have been worse off if there was no BB because I was working before bub was born and it was a significant amount which contributed to our household income.
    You would have been entitled to ppl so the bb is irrelevant. The bb was not around before and people managed, they will manage again or do not have any children you cant afford to pay for. How many other countries rely on the government to subsidise their children. Even without the bb people get a crap load of money from the government for having children including family tax payments, parenting payments, child care rebate, etc. I rely none but you know what i am happy to take it. We have it so well off here, which is the problem, people rely on the government which is wrong.

I also find it more alarming about the Medicare levy and hecs, why the hell is non tertiary education free and tertiary education getting more and more unaffordable. People should be crying out for uni students that don't get jack, it annoys the hell out of me that my with my primary school child the government basically pay me, but my uni student gets nothing what the hell is that.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm not eligible for PPL because of a month off work which means I don't meet the criteria. I had a month off as I was graduating and had exams etc before that so I was working a few hours a week at most then. I've been in my job for 3 years working 25-50 hours a week, so it's super unfair (IMO) but that's how the cookie crumbles. However, we didn't budget the BB or PPL into our financial plans when this bub arrives because we didn't want to rely on it and it fall through. I do realise it'd be hard for casuals etc who aren't entitled to PPL and are relying on some kind of support to stay at home for a while with their babies.

I think the PPL scheme needs to be made available to everyone who is employed, because it seems quite unfair to miss out based on a technicality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you sure rainbowroad?

I thought provided you had worked 300 and something hours in the last ten months and didn't have more than 8 weeks between work days you qualified?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's what the centrelink lady said when I called up to ask.

I might have to go in in person and get someone else to have a look.

Is it bad that I really can't be bothered? I had so much trouble with Centrelink while at uni that I just gave up on it!

Either way, I'm glad we're not relying on it, and if we get it, it'll go into a high interest account and not be touched anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha I definitely don't blame you for not wanting to be bothered!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    That's what the centrelink lady said when I called up to ask.

I might have to go in in person and get someone else to have a look.

Is it bad that I really can't be bothered? I had so much trouble with Centrelink while at uni that I just gave up on it!

Either way, I'm glad we're not relying on it, and if we get it, it'll go into a high interest account and not be touched anyway!
    They are so hopeless on the phone, I thought I wouldn't get it because I had to leave work at 4.5 months to be on bed rest but turns out I do get it. You just need to be working 10 of the 13 months before baby is born, I think you will be eligible

Thanks
    Reviews
    It cannot be more than an 8 week break in between work shifts. A shift can be as little as an hour and it can be for something as simple as babysitting for a friend, as long as you are paid (even as a cashie), and a log is kept and it is verifiable.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kalgirl For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm I think I'll try again...when I get my energy back! Haha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by futuremamma View Post
    How do we all feel about Swans announcement that the baby bonus will be abolished?
    I feel it's the right decision. I've always thought it was a waste of money, I received it twice and I never spent it on baby goods anyway because I already had most things before the babies came. I think I spent it on extra food and petrol and things I could have done without. We are not in a good financial position as a country to give money out like that, what they're spending money on and getting back into surplus is more important for the future. They're tough decisions but think the right one.