+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a mum who usually works full time but I am on ppl lets make it fair for all working mums- any mum who has a baby should pay a reduced level of tax for the first 2-3 years.... There fair for everyone.... Everyone gets what they earn- I would gladly give back my ppl for a tax cut- that way people who choose not to work are no worse off, people who choose to work 4 hours a week get a tax break on that and people who work full time get a tax break too. Easy- fair for every mother. Why should the government pay us to have babies- my mum raised us with nothing- no handouts, no bonus's.... Nothing. Yes I take the ppl and I have recieved BB in the past. However if we didn't have so much middle class welfare and handouts would our taxes be lower- yes. Cut all payments and cut taxes

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

TheMadHatter  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post
    Also it may drop the amount of people having babies which when the baby boomers are retiring and relying on government pensions- these kids are the ones who will be supporting them.
    I certainly hope that the presence or absence of the BB is not a deciding factor when considering having children.

And of course for most of us it isn't, but one of the real failings of the BB policy is that it puts the already vulnerable at risk. Most of us know x number of dollars really doesn't put a dint in the costs of raising a child, but not everyone is blessed with this knowledge/understanding for whatever reason. Not only is the policy detrimental to these individuals it also creates a new generation at risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    As a mum who usually works full time but I am on ppl lets make it fair for all working mums- any mum who has a baby should pay a reduced level of tax for the first 2-3 years.... There fair for everyone.... Everyone gets what they earn- I would gladly give back my ppl for a tax cut- that way people who choose not to work are no worse off, people who choose to work 4 hours a week get a tax break on that and people who work full time get a tax break too. Easy- fair for every mother. Why should the government pay us to have babies- my mum raised us with nothing- no handouts, no bonus's.... Nothing. Yes I take the ppl and I have recieved BB in the past. However if we didn't have so much middle class welfare and handouts would our taxes be lower- yes. Cut all payments and cut taxes
    Love your idea. I'd also be more than happy to swap my PPL for a tax cut.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Why should the government pay us to have babies? Because before they introduced this scheme, people weren't having enough children to sustain the nation in years to come. With it, they were. Seems pretty simple to me. Even before BB low income earners got money when they had a baby, it just wasn't called the 'Baby Bonus'
    Ahh but things are never that simple, there are many demographic factors which must be considered. Here is a link to a very good paper indicating the influence of the BB and CCR was slight at best on Australia's increased birth rate http://www.demographic-research.org/...l25/6/25-6.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Even though I agree with scrapping it, I do resent the 'you don't pay tax, you shouldn't get money'.

We do pay tax, why is my husband's tax worth less than the tax a working mother pays?

I like PPL, because it assists parents in financially surviving through maternity/paternity leave, but I'm not a huge fan of the current structure, I think it should be 1/2 of what you would normally be getting, with a cap on it at some level. So if you work 4 hours a week and make $100 for that, you'd get $50 a week in PPL.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (15-05-2013),FrothyFrog  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post

I think they should have considered cutting it to a certain amount of children I.e 2 or 3 or considered scrapping that two week paid leave for the partner of the woman having a baby. I know it is nice having the partner around for those 2 weeks but surely if the BB is considered a luxury than paying someone to stay home to support you would be a bigger luxury???

Just my opinion anyway!!!
    I feel the complete opposite. what would I want more after just having had a baby? My DH home to help (physically and emotionally) or a few dollars in the bank? I would scrap the bb over ppl any day.
    Ppl is designed to give parents time at home for the physical and emotional well being of their child and their family unit (e.g. Decreased risk of pnd, increased likelihood of successful sustained breast feeding, greater opportunity to meet other parents and form a community etc)

Any what's the rationale for disadvantaging those who have larger families?? After 2 or 3 kids your baby gear is pretty stuffed and needs replacing, much more so for number 4 than number 2.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-05-2013),peanutmonkey  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think the baby bonus should remain for women who are not currently working or on very low incomes.

Of course people in times gone past lived without payments, however we should be supporting mothers, and making sure that they can afford to have time off with their babies.

What women do at home is just not valued enough by society.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (15-05-2013),SoThisIsLove  (15-05-2013),Twoalready  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    I think the baby bonus should remain for women who are not currently working or on very low incomes.

Of course people in times gone past lived without payments, however we should be supporting mothers, and making sure that they can afford to have time off with their babies.

What women do at home is just not valued enough by society.
    If they're not working, how did they afford to have time off/not work before the baby??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I don't think the argument that mother's in the past managed without payments holds. The cost of living was much cheaper back then.

I can honestly say that I would have my kids with or without BB but it was/is extremely helpful to us seeing as my DP is on apprentice wages.

We budget extremely well but as always life happens and it was helpful to have a little extra when DP's car broke and he broke his arm.

I think if we can live comfortably on less than 40k with 2 kids then people on over 100-150 should be able to.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I still don't understand why this is such a big deal?

As mentioned previously, the baby bonus was put in place to compensate women for leaving the workforce, to have babies. To help cover their loss of income. It was never originally designed for those who were unemployed (for whatever reason), though they did reap the benefit.

Now that we have a PPL scheme, although it's not perfect, it does what the BB was originally designed for. So with PPL in place, why should the BB continue?

What would all those women do who had babies during the BB period, if the BB was never around? You can't honestly tell me that they wouldn't have had their babies, implying that the only reason they had their babies was because of the BB. Surely those women would be in the very tiny minority.

This is the very reason I was against the BB in the first place. It's proving to hard to get rid out, without people everywhere complaining or coming across as having an entitled attitude.

The BB may be going, but there is still some financial bonus, tho those eligble for FTB A. If you're not eligible for FTB A, then chances are, you *shouldn't* really need that $2/$1k anyway...