+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumzy1976 View Post
    Thanks, tbh there was nothing around when my first child was born and we coped then, the govt wanted us to have babies and began paying people and its kind of expected, but often not at all justified. My employer has a ppl scheme so I would probably use that.
    It's all too confusing lol
    Eta it's a little odd there is no sliding scale to be eligible for ppl though...

You can use your employer scheme and the Govt one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep I get what you are saying and agree in some ways. But for the cases of very minimal hours they are losing quite little, contributing no tax to the system and getting much far more than they are losing or contributing. I argue with a 19 bil debt and cost cutting happening everywhere, that maybe these cases need to be looked at and sliding scale be brought in.
    I think they will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumzy1976 View Post
    Thanks, tbh there was nothing around when my first child was born and we coped then, the govt wanted us to have babies and began paying people and its kind of expected, but often not at all justified. My employer has a ppl scheme so I would probably use that.
    It's all too confusing lol
    Eta it's a little odd there is no sliding scale to be eligible for ppl though...

You can use your employer scheme and the Govt one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep I get what you are saying and agree in some ways. But for the cases of very minimal hours they are losing quite little, contributing no tax to the system and getting much far more than they are losing or contributing. I argue with a 19 bil debt and cost cutting happening everywhere, that maybe these cases need to be looked at and sliding scale be brought in.
    Absolutely.

As I said, I was surprised this wasn't already the case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    But now there is PPL. That's the point.
    But I didn't qualify for PPL. That's my point. Some people work, pay tax and still don't qualify. How is that fair?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    But I didn't qualify for PPL. That's my point. Some people work, pay tax and still don't qualify. How is that fair?
    Why didn't you qualify?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Why didn't you qualify?
    I had a 6 week placement at Uni which meant I exceeded the allowed amount of days between 2 shifts.

My placement involved working 40 hours per week. I was pregnant and had 2 girls at home plus a heap of assessments. I just could not physically work on the weekends and those shifts were not always available anyway.

I'd tried doing night shifts after afternoon placements before but this meant I was getting absolutely no sleep. It wasn't fair on anybody living in our house lol.

I'm not saying that changes don't need to be made but in our situation the BB has really helped because we are actually missing a considerable income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can definitely see it would have made a big difference replacing your income.

But there wouldn't be a huge number of people who go more than 8 weeks between shifts so most people would still be able to replace their income with PPL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The abolishment of the Baby Bonus is long overdue. I tend to agree with Tony Windsor's statement that the BB is 'possibly the worst bit of policy he's ever seen'.
    It's one of the worst examples of vote buying, as it provided absolutely no benefit to the country on the contrary I would go as far as to say its impacts have been negative. It has been so difficult to remove as people have this sense of entitlement, I had a baby I should get money, ludicrous.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (15-05-2013),hopefulmama2b  (15-05-2013),Lauzy83  (15-05-2013),nirok  (15-05-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are things to think about though. It's not just stay at home mums who choose to do so with a supporting husband. It effects the unemployed, single mums and casual workforce - which is probably allot as permanent part-time can be harder to find so mothers may work casual as they can't afford to go back full-time.

As mentioned by a pp it's not exactly paying to have a baby it probably may be the difference between a woman going private/public which puts a strain on the healthcare system, it maybe the difference between a mum buying new things for the new baby which puts a strain on the economy. I'm not saying everyone needs new things but the more people spend the more jobs there are. I know it is much more complicated than that.

Also it may drop the amount of people having babies which when the baby boomers are retiring and relying on government pensions- these kids are the ones who will be supporting them.

I think they should have considered cutting it to a certain amount of children I.e 2 or 3 or considered scrapping that two week paid leave for the partner of the woman having a baby. I know it is nice having the partner around for those 2 weeks but surely if the BB is considered a luxury than paying someone to stay home to support you would be a bigger luxury???

Just my opinion anyway!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (15-05-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (15-05-2013)