+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 177
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,478
    Thanks
    179
    Thanked
    784
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep I get there has to be a cut off. But really, if we are going to ask SAHMs to make financial sacrifices by having their payments greatly reduced (which as I said, I do support as it is a bonus) or completely cut, then I think we need to be looking at PPL a little bit too. It isn't economically viable to pay a woman over 8k for working one day a week. Maybe a pro rata type set up would be fair? you work 2 days or less you get 4k? I don't know the answer.
    I agree that it PPL payments should be put on a sliding scale if they are going to scrap payments for SAHM. I worked casually before DD3 was born some weeks I might work 40 hours, 16, 20 hours and sometimes none if I had a Uni placement but still didn't qualify for PPL. That has meant that when our baby was born we have lost my income but fortunately the BB has helped a lot. And by the 3 rd child (all girls) I couldn't even reuse clothes, high hairs or anything like that so a lot has been replaced.

    My DH pays taxes and I like to think that he is funding any of the payments we get from CL.

    I really feel for people in a similar situation to ours who are eventually going to be getting nothing

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,311
    Thanks
    2,387
    Thanked
    4,599
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep I get there has to be a cut off. But really, if we are going to ask SAHMs to make financial sacrifices by having their payments greatly reduced (which as I said, I do support as it is a bonus) or completely cut, then I think we need to be looking at PPL a little bit too. It isn't economically viable to pay a woman over 8k for working one day a week. Maybe a pro rata type set up would be fair? you work 2 days or less you get 4k? I don't know the answer.
    I absolutely agree re the sliding scale for PPL but I have to take issue with the notion that SAHMs are all of a sudden going to be worse off come March next year.

    They won't be. They will be in exactly the same position they would have been. Sure, they won't be getting a $5k top up to their budgets, but they wont have lost income. If they are eligible they will still be getting up to $2k through the FTB system.

    Reducing or removing PPL would have a quantifiably negative impact on working mothers (or fathers).

    To put it bluntly, SAHP don't earn anything so there is no income to replace. Working parents have income to be replaced.

    TBH I don't even think the two payments can be meaningfully compared.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

    Sonja  (15-05-2013),Stiflers Mom  (15-05-2013)

  4. #103
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    429
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked
    70
    Reviews
    0
    I haven't read all the replies, so please forgive me if I'm way off here...
    I get the importance of BB to some families, I received it with DS 2 and a lesser amount for DS 3. I used it to be able to stay home with my baby and my children.
    I know nothing about ppl at all. I work 15 hours a week, we earn well under $100K. Is ppl paid on the portion of full time that one works , or is it a set amount regardless of of you work 4 hours a week or 40?

  5. #104
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,005
    Thanks
    1,052
    Thanked
    3,524
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with the idea of a sliding scale for PPL for those who work minimal hours. But you have to factor in the admin costs of such a thing. It might just be cheaper to pay everyone minimum wage.

    I don't understand why PPL and BB are even talked about in the same breath though. They are incomparable.

  6. #105
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,259
    Thanks
    1,046
    Thanked
    1,752
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumzy1976 View Post
    I haven't read all the replies, so please forgive me if I'm way off here...
    I get the importance of BB to some families, I received it with DS 2 and a lesser amount for DS 3. I used it to be able to stay home with my baby and my children.
    I know nothing about ppl at all. I work 15 hours a week, we earn well under $100K. Is ppl paid on the portion of full time that one works , or is it a set amount regardless of of you work 4 hours a week or 40?
    Pretty sure it's a set amount which means some ppl get a pay rise and some a reduction. Either way it's pretty cool I think because women are going to have babies anyway if they really want a family, but for us that would mean a huge struggle so ppl will help a lot.

  7. #106
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,005
    Thanks
    1,052
    Thanked
    3,524
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumzy1976 View Post
    I haven't read all the replies, so please forgive me if I'm way off here...
    I get the importance of BB to some families, I received it with DS 2 and a lesser amount for DS 3. I used it to be able to stay home with my baby and my children.
    I know nothing about ppl at all. I work 15 hours a week, we earn well under $100K. Is ppl paid on the portion of full time that one works , or is it a set amount regardless of of you work 4 hours a week or 40?
    It's a set amount. Have a look at the Centrelink site. Sounds like you'd be eligible.

  8. #107
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    429
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked
    70
    Reviews
    0
    Thanks, tbh there was nothing around when my first child was born and we coped then, the govt wanted us to have babies and began paying people and its kind of expected, but often not at all justified. My employer has a ppl scheme so I would probably use that.
    It's all too confusing lol
    Eta it's a little odd there is no sliding scale to be eligible for ppl though...

  9. #108
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,478
    Thanks
    179
    Thanked
    784
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I absolutely agree re the sliding scale for PPL but I have to take issue with the notion that SAHMs are all of a sudden going to be worse off come March next year.

    They won't be. They will be in exactly the same position they would have been. Sure, they won't be getting a $5k top up to their budgets, but they wont have lost income. If they are eligible they will still be getting up to $2k through the FTB system.

    Reducing or removing PPL would have a quantifiably negative impact on working mothers (or fathers).

    To put it bluntly, SAHP don't earn anything so there is no income to replace. Working parents have income to be replaced.

    TBH I don't even think the two payments can be meaningfully compared.
    That's the thing though, some families will be worse off. We would have been worse off if there was no BB because I was working before bub was born and it was a significant amount which contributed to our household income.

  10. #109
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,311
    Thanks
    2,387
    Thanked
    4,599
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    That's the thing though, some families will be worse off. We would have been worse off if there was no BB because I was working before bub was born and it was a significant amount which contributed to our household income.
    But now there is PPL. That's the point.

  11. #110
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,839
    Thanks
    6,199
    Thanked
    16,883
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I absolutely agree re the sliding scale for PPL but I have to take issue with the notion that SAHMs are all of a sudden going to be worse off come March next year.

    They won't be. They will be in exactly the same position they would have been. Sure, they won't be getting a $5k top up to their budgets, but they wont have lost income. If they are eligible they will still be getting up to $2k through the FTB system.

    Reducing or removing PPL would have a quantifiably negative impact on working mothers (or fathers).

    To put it bluntly, SAHP don't earn anything so there is no income to replace. Working parents have income to be replaced.

    TBH I don't even think the two payments can be meaningfully compared.
    Yep I get what you are saying and agree in some ways. But for the cases of very minimal hours they are losing quite little, contributing no tax to the system and getting much far more than they are losing or contributing. I argue with a 19 bil debt and cost cutting happening everywhere, that maybe these cases need to be looked at and sliding scale be brought in.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Baby bonus
    By monnie24 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-03-2013, 14:04
  2. Where is the baby bonus?
    By thepouts in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 16:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Mother and Baby Shop
Save $$$ during our Christmas Sale Mother and Baby Shop
Great prices on Schoenhut kids pianos, toys, baby clothing as well as big brands like Pigeon, NUK, Cherub Baby and many more. Sale starts on 1 November 2016 and ends on the 27 December 2016. Hurry! Place your order today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
KindyROO
KindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available at three Brisbane and two Gold Coast locations. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!