+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep I get there has to be a cut off. But really, if we are going to ask SAHMs to make financial sacrifices by having their payments greatly reduced (which as I said, I do support as it is a bonus) or completely cut, then I think we need to be looking at PPL a little bit too. It isn't economically viable to pay a woman over 8k for working one day a week. Maybe a pro rata type set up would be fair? you work 2 days or less you get 4k? I don't know the answer.
    I agree that it PPL payments should be put on a sliding scale if they are going to scrap payments for SAHM. I worked casually before DD3 was born some weeks I might work 40 hours, 16, 20 hours and sometimes none if I had a Uni placement but still didn't qualify for PPL. That has meant that when our baby was born we have lost my income but fortunately the BB has helped a lot. And by the 3 rd child (all girls) I couldn't even reuse clothes, high hairs or anything like that so a lot has been replaced.

My DH pays taxes and I like to think that he is funding any of the payments we get from CL.

I really feel for people in a similar situation to ours who are eventually going to be getting nothing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep I get there has to be a cut off. But really, if we are going to ask SAHMs to make financial sacrifices by having their payments greatly reduced (which as I said, I do support as it is a bonus) or completely cut, then I think we need to be looking at PPL a little bit too. It isn't economically viable to pay a woman over 8k for working one day a week. Maybe a pro rata type set up would be fair? you work 2 days or less you get 4k? I don't know the answer.
    I absolutely agree re the sliding scale for PPL but I have to take issue with the notion that SAHMs are all of a sudden going to be worse off come March next year.

They won't be. They will be in exactly the same position they would have been. Sure, they won't be getting a $5k top up to their budgets, but they wont have lost income. If they are eligible they will still be getting up to $2k through the FTB system.

Reducing or removing PPL would have a quantifiably negative impact on working mothers (or fathers).

To put it bluntly, SAHP don't earn anything so there is no income to replace. Working parents have income to be replaced.

TBH I don't even think the two payments can be meaningfully compared.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (15-05-2013),Stiflers Mom  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the replies, so please forgive me if I'm way off here...
    I get the importance of BB to some families, I received it with DS 2 and a lesser amount for DS 3. I used it to be able to stay home with my baby and my children.
    I know nothing about ppl at all. I work 15 hours a week, we earn well under $100K. Is ppl paid on the portion of full time that one works , or is it a set amount regardless of of you work 4 hours a week or 40?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with the idea of a sliding scale for PPL for those who work minimal hours. But you have to factor in the admin costs of such a thing. It might just be cheaper to pay everyone minimum wage.

I don't understand why PPL and BB are even talked about in the same breath though. They are incomparable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumzy1976 View Post
    I get the importance of BB to some families, I received it with DS 2 and a lesser amount for DS 3. I used it to be able to stay home with my baby and my children.
    I know nothing about ppl at all. I work 15 hours a week, we earn well under $100K. Is ppl paid on the portion of full time that one works , or is it a set amount regardless of of you work 4 hours a week or 40?
    Pretty sure it's a set amount which means some ppl get a pay rise and some a reduction. Either way it's pretty cool I think because women are going to have babies anyway if they really want a family, but for us that would mean a huge struggle so ppl will help a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumzy1976 View Post
    It's a set amount. Have a look at the Centrelink site. Sounds like you'd be eligible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, tbh there was nothing around when my first child was born and we coped then, the govt wanted us to have babies and began paying people and its kind of expected, but often not at all justified. My employer has a ppl scheme so I would probably use that.
    It's all too confusing lol
    Eta it's a little odd there is no sliding scale to be eligible for ppl though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I absolutely agree re the sliding scale for PPL but I have to take issue with the notion that SAHMs are all of a sudden going to be worse off come March next year.

They won't be. They will be in exactly the same position they would have been. Sure, they won't be getting a $5k top up to their budgets, but they wont have lost income. If they are eligible they will still be getting up to $2k through the FTB system.

Reducing or removing PPL would have a quantifiably negative impact on working mothers (or fathers).

To put it bluntly, SAHP don't earn anything so there is no income to replace. Working parents have income to be replaced.

That's the thing though, some families will be worse off. We would have been worse off if there was no BB because I was working before bub was born and it was a significant amount which contributed to our household income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    That's the thing though, some families will be worse off. We would have been worse off if there was no BB because I was working before bub was born and it was a significant amount which contributed to our household income.
    But now there is PPL. That's the point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post

Yep I get what you are saying and agree in some ways. But for the cases of very minimal hours they are losing quite little, contributing no tax to the system and getting much far more than they are losing or contributing. I argue with a 19 bil debt and cost cutting happening everywhere, that maybe these cases need to be looked at and sliding scale be brought in.