+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    My husband works though and pays his taxes.... We are also saving the tax payer by hardly using CC. I'm the one that runs your P&C and runs the canteen. My role matters too? I support a cut to the BB, god knows we need to cost cut. But I see a real shift here.

With the BB going completely under the libs, I see a whole lot of SAHM's getting 4 hours a week for 12 months to get the PPL When ironically it would have been cheaper to pay them the BB lol

Just seems the govt will throw around the cash for a woman working half a shift a week, no questions asked, but for me with a working husband paying tax? hell no, don't expect the tax payer to fund your family.
    This is exactly how I see it. I'm really sorry coz this is likely to offend but the stay at home mums do benefit the working mums with the non paid work they do such as p&c and canteen etc.

It's the stay at home mums who take the car load of kids to zone sports & it's my stay at home mum friends that I call to drop off forgotten lunch or money or that pickup in an emergency

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

gonnabeaGR8mum  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's much worse that the Medicare threshold has been increased, they are phasing out medical expenses tax offsets and higher education is getting increasing expensive.[/QUOTE]

Me too, it really scares me what this all will mean for my children's futures.

We pay phi, still pay quite high out of pocket expenses. Everything is getting more & more expenses and the answer is often be better educated work harder.
    Well that is going to end up a rich persons game too.

I've often looked at the us way of things ( which I think Aus is heading toward )
    And it looks crap but their houses seem cheaper to buy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ourbradybunch View Post
    This is exactly how I see it. I'm really sorry coz this is likely to offend but the stay at home mums do benefit the working mums with the non paid work they do such as p&c and canteen etc.

It's the stay at home mums who take the car load of kids to zone sports & it's my stay at home mum friends that I call to drop off forgotten lunch or money or that pickup in an emergency
    Yes but PPL isn't about carpooling.

It's about replacing income while a parent takes time off from work following the birth of a child.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

kw123  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Yes but PPL isn't about carpooling.

It's about replacing income while a parent takes time off from work following the birth of a child.
    This was in regard to baby bonus & I was pointing out that a sahm has an important part in society that I think working mums do benefit from.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

gonnabeaGR8mum  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ourbradybunch View Post
    This was in regard to baby bonus & I was pointing out that a sahm has an important part in society that I think working mums do benefit from.
    Of course they do. But the BB isn't replacing lost income. A household isn't worse off for not receiving it - they're in exactly the same position they already were.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Of course they do. But the BB isn't replacing lost income. A household isn't worse off for not receiving it - they're in exactly the same position they already were.
    Exactly. The BB wasn't brought in to say thank you for your contribution to society.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    The BB isn't even being scrapped!! Just reduced.
    True, but if you have watched the news reports, it's obvious despite the Libs trying to deny, that they will cut it entirely in a few months. I may be wrong, but I don't think I will be.

I find it confusing, that we are 19 bil on debt and, rightly so, are having to tighten the purse strings. BB has been greatly reduced, which believe it or not, I fully understand. Yet I can work a few hours a week, not even pay a cent of tax, and get thousands worth of PPL. How is that anymore economically viable than the BB? When you are working a day a week, you are losing little money, paying pretty much zero tax.

My DH snored all night so I'm tired and probably not explaining myself well lol I'm not saying I don't support the PPL. Just that there seems to be some pretty lax rules for it where it is quite prone to being open to being taken advantage of. In my example, that family was paying way less tax, getting much more CL than us, yet they were given PPL. Yet as a SAHM I'm told basically pay for your own child. Which I do partially agree with. But I think if we are going to start tightening the purse strings, maybe we also need to look at examples like I have gave, where families are getting full CL payments, then getting full PPL as well. If we are going to rein in spending, then maybe 4-8 hours a week needs to be changed?

For the couple both working full time, she takes PPL I have zero issue with that, good for her, she has worked and deserves it. But it does leave a bad taste in my mouth when I see a family living off ft CL contributing far less financially than we do, and taking far more than they contribute. But they get a very nice nest egg and in a few months we get zero.

Gah none of that probably made sense lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree Delirium. I said in a post earlier I didn't realise you got the full rate of PPL even if you didn't earn up to that amount prior to receiving it.

That's a cut I am surprised they didn't make.

I'm fairly sure the Coalition's scheme just replaces income like for like up until the threshold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know what you're saying but there has to be a cutoff and I'm sure very few people actually work the bare minimum to be eligible. There are always going to be some who "just" make it, but as I said there needs to be a line. If they increased the working threshold I'm sure they would get severe backlash for that!

It's the same for parents who just meet the working test for CCR but get the same rebate as those who work 40+ hours. What can you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yep I get there has to be a cut off. But really, if we are going to ask SAHMs to make financial sacrifices by having their payments greatly reduced (which as I said, I do support as it is a bonus) or completely cut, then I think we need to be looking at PPL a little bit too. It isn't economically viable to pay a woman over 8k for working one day a week. Maybe a pro rata type set up would be fair? you work 2 days or less you get 4k? I don't know the answer.