+ Reply to Thread
    Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone gotten married in NZ?

So after 12years together, DF and I are thinking of getting married in NZ Later this year. We will be eloping! We will take the two kids with us, but no-one else. Has anyone done this? or at least gotten married in NZ? Where did you do it? Any tips etc??

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH and I got married in NZ, Auckland it was a gorgeous wedding, my brother got married in the snow in the North Island. I get the feeling that sometimes the venues for the reception are cheaper than Australia, but last weekend in the SMH celebrants etc are going to put their prices up versus NZ it would be cheaper. Were u planning to get married soon in NZ as you may have to be in quick as the law has changed there and same sex marriage will be legal in 3 months and a lot of places may be booking up fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I *was* getting married in nz as I'm from there, (but not now) so I had a look around but mainly in the South Island. Where would you want to go? There are some stunning places in the South Island, tekapo, queenstown?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got married in Queenstown in 2009 - it was just stunning! Living here I planned it all over the internet, which is not something I like to do, but when I turned up and saw the venue it just took my breath away, I couldn't have asked for something more idyllic. It was at a vineyard overlooking Lake Hayes.

We didnt elope but our wedding was very small, only 12 in total. This way everyone who came was able to spend a week there, we hired holiday homes in the same street, again beautiful with great views and we did all sorts in the week leading up to the wedding.

Having said that i grew up in NZ so I do know of lots of great places over there. Both North and South Island for a wedding.

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone. I have just got a quote for a ceremony at lake tekapo which includes marriage license, certificate, ceremony, celebrants, 3hr photography package, 2 witnesses. It would just be the four of us and it is $3475. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    To me that sounds quite expensive - from what you have listed I take it there is nothing afterwards included ie food, drinks etc?

The marriage license, celebrant and witnesses should not cost that much. Which means your money must be going into the ceremony and the photographer. Its hard to comment without knowing what is included in their ceremony package but again it really shouldn't cost that much if there is only the 4 of you. So that leaves the photographer - do you know what their price outside the package is?

I do know from all the research i did is you pay a lot more for package deals, but that is what you are paying them for, is to organise and co ordinate if for you. if you want a hassle free wedding then that maybe what is suitable for you.

You will pay less if you organise things yourself, which is what i did. But it did take a lot of organisation my end and then when i arrived in queenstown i had to meet with all the individual people to confirm details. It suited me as i like organising these kind of things and i wanted a say in the details.

Hope that helps!