+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When my son was in prep there were 28 kids, one teacher one teacher assistant. Private school.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

F&A  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is at a public school and had 20 last year in her prep class and 19 this year in year 1. There are about 120 kids in her year level so they could have had larger class sizes but the principal is very careful to budget so that each class is kept to around 20 (he likes to tell everyone this at every opportunity!)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

F&A  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I actually agree with you- but I know old school teachers who had classes of 60 that dispute this as well as those who do collaborative teaching in large environments that are getting good results...
    Teachers more important than class size
    Old school teachers also used discipline methods that we would never dream of using as teachers. Collaborative teaching is very different to managing a class of 29-30 five year olds on your own. The behaviour management techniques that you need to employ are tricky and giving 30 odd kids individual attention is difficult. I taught kinder a few years ago with 19 and boy that was enough for me!!

In NSW it's supposed to be max of 20 kids in kindy, 22 in Year 1 and 24 in Year 2. Our catholic schools in my town are operating on 30+ kindergarten kids this year which is far too many. I have 24 Year 1 kids and that's plenty!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (14-05-2013),F&A  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My class (I teach a 3/4 composite) has 20 students. We receive extra funding due to high numbers of indigenous, refugee and general low socio-economic students.

My children (one in Year 3, one in Year 5) have 14 in their 3-6 class in a very small school.

Both are NSW country public schools.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FionaV For This Useful Post:

F&A  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My DS1 did prep in QLD and there were 2 classes with around 30 kids in each. By year one they divided the classes into 3 and had around 20 students in each.

DS2 is in kindy in nsw. He is in a composite class so there are only about 15 students in his class. The straight kindy classes aren't much bigger though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

F&A  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I teach Kindy (WA) and the limit is 20, with one teacher and one assistant.
    I believe Pre-Primary is 25 with one teacher and one assistant

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mallie For This Useful Post:

F&A  (19-05-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My children go to an independent public school, 20 children with one teacher and one TA in kindy and 25 with one teacher and one TA in Pre-primary, any class with a child with special needs has another TA we don't in our classes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

F&A  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Out of curiosity What exactly are parents paying for when they go private?

Smaller class sizes are a priority for me which doesn't appear to be very common at private schools?

DDs public school is also very well equipped with supplies and technology etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Depends on the school - the private boys one we are sending DS too had 1 pre k class of 20 and 2 x kindy classes with 22 kids in each for this year - 1 teacher plus an aid ( then sport/music/art teachers)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

F&A  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    Out of curiosity What exactly are parents paying for when they go private?

Smaller class sizes are a priority for me which doesn't appear to be very common at private schools?

DDs public school is also very well equipped with supplies and technology etc.
    I think private schools differ from one another as public schools.

I spoke to a friend who said her class this year has 13 kids (kids in reception/1st school year), those parents pay around 10k a year for that, the best teachers and alot of facilities. In my personal experience, private schools will try and help the kids more when it comes to a child being behind/advanced or having social issues or being bullied.

that said there are a tonne of amazing teachers working in public (and some crap ones in private), and some public schools have great facilities and will bend over backwards to help the children with any issues.

I think the difference (apart from often private being religios based) depends on the particular private school v the particular public school. Ie- I would not ever send my kids to the public school we are local to currently, but there are several public schools 25 mins drive that would be far better then the private schools I can afford.

Just my opinion of course