+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Rental question- NSW

I'm hoping there are some real estate savvy people who know how to handle this situation/ know what the next step is..

So i moved into a new place last year. I got the first water bill a couple of months later. Only about a month and a half of the actual usage was mine, the rest was the previous tenants. So i called the property manager who disagreed and tried to tell me the whole bill was mine. I finally got him to see it how it should be and he said he would amend it and send me a correct bill.
    Fast forward a few months i get a text message stating i still owe the entire water bill and a follow up email saying that my rent would be put into arrears if i don't pay. So i emailed back explaining that we had a conversation about this last year and i am just waiting on the amended invoice. I got no reply.
    I had a property inspection last week so i brought up the issue again and was assured an amended invoice would be on it's way soon.
    I decided to drop in to the RE today and pick up a tenant ledger and of course my rent has been put almost $100 in arrears because the property manager seems to think i should have to pay for the previous tenants water usage as well.
    We had yet another conversation about it and finally convinced him that the bill is not 100% mine. He went on about if the money has already been receipted and given to the owner there is no getting it back. WTF? i don't care if he can't get that money back but he owes me almost $100! It's not my mistake.
    So by the end of that the property manager assured me he will correct it and reverse the invoice.

I will give him a few days and go back in and grab another tenant ledger to see where it's all at. My question is: if he hasn't fixed it, what do i do? At this point my rent is sitting $100 in arrears because of his mistake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would give fair trading a call for advice and I would also document all this in an email to you agent, with 'on x day, I spoke to you about the water bill and you said y. I did not receive an amended invoice nd spoke to you again on z. You said...' And so on. You need a "paper trail" so to speak.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (14-05-2013),αληθη  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I would give fair trading a call for advice and I would also document all this in an email to you agent, with 'on x day, I spoke to you about the water bill and you said y. I did not receive an amended invoice nd spoke to you again on z. You said...' And so on. You need a "paper trail" so to speak.
    Thanks. I'm definitely making sure i keep a paper trail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ummm it's illegal to receipt rent monies as anything else but rent monies and he shouldn't be employed in real estate if he has done that.

Call the principal of the rental agency and tell/show them what their employee has done.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Spout For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Ummm it's illegal to receipt rent monies as anything else but rent monies and he shouldn't be employed in real estate if he has done that.

Call the principal of the rental agency and tell/show them what their employee has done.
    Oh, wow. That's very interesting to know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Spout do you have any links to the legislation stating whats above^?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly when you moved in on the condition report it should have had the meter reading on it. Then you take the reading from the water company and deduct the reading from the condition report and that is how much you are responsible for. On the bill it will show how much the units of water cost so it can be worked out from that. They also should have been able to work out with the previous tenant when they left what they owed so it is not like the landlord would be out any money. I would be talking to CT&TT about it as I believe that Spout is right. If they haven't corrected it I would also write a letter (or email) to the principal as they may not realise what has occurred and let them know that you will take the matter further if needed. Try to have everything in writing as it will make it easier on you later on if you have to take it further.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jazz1910 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Look at your lease agreement - clause 4.5
    Also check all clause 11 to make sure your property complies

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/pd..._agreement.pdf

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Who is good at writing letters? What would you say in the follow up email in regards to our conversation? would you draw attention to clause 4.5?
    I'm hopeless at wording letters so any help would be much appreciated.