+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Is she only just two or going more towards three? How good is her understanding? Mine would be given conditions for walking holding hands and be reminded next time that she wasn't allowed to walk because she didn't hold my hand. Not that it would've made a rats to my first
    She will be 2 in a couple of weeks. She has very good understanding of what I want from her. I doubt she understands consequences though. I have tried a wrist strap on her but she just screams.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS knows to hold my hand or he is going into the stroller or back into the car. I have made a game out of stopping to look for cars and staying by my side while holding my hand. We did use a monkey backpack thing for a while and it worked well We have only had to resort to the stroller once in about 8 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wrist strap! One end attached to your child, one end around your wrist.

My DD is 3, and just last week the naughty girl did a runner on me..
    I was in a busy store and she was holding onto the pram I was pushing.. She let go and just ran! I couldn't turn around, the aisle was too narrow and full of crap, so I had to back out and push past everyone and by the time I got to the front of the store she was gone. There were like 5 ways she could've gone.
    I had security called but luckily 2 old ladies found her out on the street, I will never let that happen again. She hates the strap, but I'd hate her to be killed.. I even use it when taking the kids to school. I just don't trust her not to do it again, she thought it was hilarious!

Good luck with your little one!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Harness. I know some people don't like them but I rather someone think I'm a terrible person for using one if it old potentially save my child injury or even death. That or a stroller if she will stay in it.
    Agree 100%. Stuff what anyone else thinks, safety is first.

My DS1 is 20mths and already a runner, thinks its hilarious. He stays in the pram for now and if I had to, I'd use a harness backpack.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    She will be 2 in a couple of weeks. She has very good understanding of what I want from her. I doubt she understands consequences though. I have tried a wrist strap on her but she just screams.
    If she hates the wrist strap I'd use it as a consquence. So I would say, if you don't hold my hand this will be worn. And follow through. I think it's a visual consequence and she would make the link pretty quickly. Any screaming I would then ignore (for a short time), then ask her if she was ready to listen/hold my hand and remove it. And start the process again. You could talk to her in the car before you arrive and just have it in your hand where she can see it. And lots of praise when the right thing is done

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I like the little backpacks, with my DS they were my backup in case he let go- not my first line of attack, just incase he did something like this. Particularly in busy places. I would often loop it into the belt loop on my pants. He loved his little backpack and I think I seen Kmart selling them now for something crazy like $10. The little wrist ones always made me nervous, not enough force to pull them back if they did something scary. I think learning consequences is tough... particularly in this situation where you hardly want them to learn via natural consequences
    Yes I agree, the harness back pack style seem more effective. My bestie had a little monkey back pack one or her DD who thought it was super cute and fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I like the little backpacks, with my DS they were my backup in case he let go- not my first line of attack, just incase he did something like this. Particularly in busy places. I would often loop it into the belt loop on my pants. He loved his little backpack and I think I seen Kmart selling them now for something crazy like $10. The little wrist ones always made me nervous, not enough force to pull them back if they did something scary. I think learning consequences is tough... particularly in this situation where you hardly want them to learn via natural consequences
    When DD was littler she had a Dalmation Backpack, was very cute and at that age I wouldn't have used a wrist strap either. Being that bit older though and not having the chubby wrists that make the straps come straight off her hand, I find that they are very effective.

Anything that keeps the little ones safe is good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I had a runner (thankfully he's generally stopped now he's over 2) and am not a fan of harnesses (no judgment I just hate the sight of them) so he stayed in the pram. Always. I knew his difficult times and mine (shopping, car parks, school pick up) when he would run and when it would be hard to catch him) and at those times he was always strapped in the pram.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkles View Post
    If she hates the wrist strap I'd use it as a consquence. So I would say, if you don't hold my hand this will be worn. And follow through. I think it's a visual consequence and she would make the link pretty quickly. Any screaming I would then ignore (for a short time), then ask her if she was ready to listen/hold my hand and remove it. And start the process again. You could talk to her in the car before you arrive and just have it in your hand where she can see it. And lots of praise when the right thing is done
    I agree with this, but also agree that the little backpacks are very effective. At least it was for my DS. He was a runner at that age too. And would often refuse to hold my hand. I borrowed a friends monkey backpack and only had to use it for a couple of months before he would walk with me holding my hand hand. When we used it, I still made him hold my hand, but it was good to have the backup of the reins when he tried to take off. He hated it at first, but liked it after a few weeks and then he just didn't run off anymore.