+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Decisions ...... decisions

DH got a pretty awesome offer yesterday at work. Currently he is on a 6 month contract at work but they have offered him a full time in definite position with them which is pretty freaking awesome but DH is umming about it.
    If he was to take the full time position his hours would remain exactly the same but he would be taking a dip of $8 an hour less ..... Doesn't seem like aloe but it works out to be about 480$ less a week.
    Both DH and I understand full time obviously has benefits ie holiday pay etc ad guaranteed work beyond 6 months but in saying that at present that extra 480 is basically what we've been putting into saving for our own home (been putting 500 a week into savings )
    If we were to decide fr him to go full time we'd have to save next to nothing each week and it would take us longer

Decisions suck big fat balls that's for sure !

What would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd take the security of the full time job.
    That extra money does seen great now, but what if, in 6 months time his contract finishes & he doesn't get another job straight away...? Then there'd be no income, let alone that bit extra to save.
    We've just gone through a similar thing, so I know how you feel

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calstar For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (14-05-2013),snowqu33n  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It would depend on what the employment market is like in his field and what it is likely to be in six months time when his contract is due to end.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Such a hard call to make. Can you redo your budget to work some extra savings? How long is left of the contract? Is it going to be easy for him to line up other work once the contract is over?

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hard decision but what kind of area does dh work in? Is he likely to be easily able to snap up another full time job with similar pay quickly and easily? And the thing is I know saving for home loan is important but you may struggle to actually get approved for one with dh having a full time perm position. So mg answer would be it kinda depends on what jndustry he works in and if he is confident of gettin a job at the end payin better

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy12 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd take the full time job for security. Btw how many hours a week does he work for it to make such a big difference??

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbles21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Most employers will negotiate if they really like a employee. Why not ask for for half the difference.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

babycart  (15-05-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can he accept the full time offer but ask to start it at the end of his contract? It can he negotiate the salary?

There are definitely advantages to full time like sick leave, holidays, super etc. so unless there is a lot of demand in his industry I'd seriously consider taking it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Hmm, honestly, I can see why your husband is umming and ahhing, my DH has just gone to contract work from fulltime, if you have savings, I would stick with contract if you are relatively confident that aftr the 6 months he will get another job/stay on etc.

$480 a week is a huge difference. The difference in full time employee and contract for my husband is $50k+ a year, so the decision was easy for us.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by peanutmonkey; 14-05-2013 at 07:53.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That's the thing at present he is doing the NBN installation with silcar ( has all his Telstra accreditations as well as multiple tickets inc confined space, escavatar(sp) asbestos etc) so tbh the work will eventually end or turn in maintenance of the NBN once its fully installed. He has also worked in civil construction with roads and bridges ( if you've ever been out to warrick or Kingaroy you can nearly bet that DH has had a hand in the road your diving on ) he's never been out of work before.

We can definitely see the benefit of going full time don't get me wrong they specifically moved us from Brisbane to Townsville because they wanted him to work for them. They wanted him on a 1 month trial then a 6 month contract and then possibly full time there after so we kind of knew it might be coming. He has about 2 weeks left on his 6 month contract. He got the offer of full time which they've been pushing for or another 6 month contract.

$480 a week cut just seems like a lot. Don't get me wrong either even taking $480 less a week won't leave us struggling but will just mean a lot stricter budget to have extra money ti save for things like our own home which we were hoping to start looking at at the end If the year.

In all honesty it'll just mean it takes us longer to save that's all. I don't want to sound greedy that's not my intentions at all and I understand we have it better then a lot of other people. We just see both sides and it seems like a hard decision IYKWIM