+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Hard Lollies and young children

Today my MIL gave Ds a hard lolly, he is 3 yrs and 9 months. This isn't a MIL vent, she is a fantastic carer for my boys once a week.
    I'm just a little concerned about the safety aspect of ds having a hard lolly. MIL brushed off my comments and said it was ok, but I'm a little nervous about him having one again.
    Wdyt, should I say something again?

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would. When i was little our 3 year old neighbour was given a hard lolly. It lodged in his throat and he could not breath for minutes. He sustained brain damage and has not been able to live a "normal" life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whenever my mil does something I don't agree with, she always tries to justify herself at the time, but then she won't do it again if I've made myself clear. Sometimes I get my DH to make a comment as well.
    I guess it depends on your relationship with her and how well she can take it. Maybe wait and see if she does it again?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She will do it again as after dinner he wanted one and I said "no, too much sugar" as he already had two that day and she said to ds "I'll give you one next week". She was adamant it was ok

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    lollypop on a stick ... yes

plain hard lolly .. mmm no ..

my five year old has to sit on the couch/ chair if he wants a hard lolly - even at five I dont let him walk/ run/ move around with one ..

but I'm a helicopter parent ..

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a hard lolly stuck in my throat as a child... and I was like, 8 or 9.. I was just sucking on it and it just shot right into the back of my throat. I have been overly paranoid about choking ever since.. really over the top for my own liking, but I can't help it.
    If you're in any way uncomfortable with your child having a hard lolly, just say so.
    Or if he has one, make sure he isn't running around. Sorry, I don't have any real advice, I just read the thread and felt I could relate.. DH often eats lollies before bed and has fallen asleep with them in his mouth!! I go nuts and can't sleep until he has chewed it up.. and he's a grown man!! lol.. drives him crazy because I keep waking him until he swallows it.. !
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 13-05-2013 at 21:54.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Veve I am a completely negligent 'free range' parent, and I wouldn't let my 3 year old have a loose hard lolly either. Looks like both sides of the fence are united on this one

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (14-05-2013),snowqu33n  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe you could buy a packet of soft lollies for her to give him? And say something like "DS can have one of these, but I really don't want him having hard lollies". Stick to your guns.
    I use scare tactics with my mil. In this case I would say something like "How would you live with yourself if he choked on a lolly while you were looking after him, especially after I said I didn't want him having it." I know it sounds mean but sometimes it's all that works for me!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely say something.
    I remember visiting my nanna in hospital when I was 5 and my little sis was 3. My nanna gave us each a boiled lolly and my sister choked on hers. It was pure luck we were in a hospital at the time and the nurses came rushing, whisked her off to emergency and suctioned it out. Had we not been in a hospital at the time - I have no doubt it could have been a very different outcome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll have to now. It's that or a horrific outcome I guess.