+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to cope with opens while rental is being sold? :(

Any tips on dealing with open inspections etc? Not too keen on having groups of strangers walking through the place with all our stuff in it....never had this happen before.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 13-05-2013 at 19:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumpity bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Oh no! . I went through this last year. It was absolutely horrible! I had groups of strangers invading my privacy and an **** of a sales agent to deal with!
    Just make sure you lay out the ground rules in writting: if you want to be present for inspections, what days suit you, if you only want private inspections, that the sales agent will be liable for any damages or stolen goods, etc..
    Maybe see if they want to break the lease so you can get out early and not have to deal with all the crap.

Good luck with it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So you would recommend trying to get out of the lease early? Our current lease ends in Dec.

I really have no idea how it works. Our real estate agent said there are strict rules and that they cant just do inspections whenever.

Or we could just hope it sells quick? Maybe an investor will buy it and we can stay. Sigh!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just confirm with agents the open times that suit you -(usually 2 times per week is allowed) opens are easier for you as at least they get them all through at the same time - you don't want them doing private inspections at different times every day! They can't come any time but whenever we have been to tribunal they make the tenants give 2 times per week to allow us in

Confirm how many agents will be there , what their standard practice is for taking names/addresses etc , its better if you are not there but you have the right to be if you like. , just don't leave money or jewellery out on display

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have just been advised the same thing love our house and so dont want to move. I've requested no open houses which they have agreed to otherwise I've asked for a month to month lease agreement in case I find another house in the mean time until my lease is up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    There may be rules but they don't really swing in favour of the tenants.
    I guess just wait and see how it pans out.
    The owner of the rental I was in decided to sell halfway through my lease, found an interested buyer towards the end of the lease who wanted to come back for 2nd and third looks, wanted to measure things, would not show up to pre arranged inspection times, etc.. the owner waited til just before my lease was up then kicked me out.... not something I want to go through ever again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Just confirm with agents the open times that suit you -(usually 2 times per week is allowed) opens are easier for you as at least they get them all through at the same time - you don't want them doing private inspections at different times every day! They can't come any time but whenever we have been to tribunal they make the tenants give 2 times per week to allow us in

Confirm how many agents will be there , what their standard practice is for taking names/addresses etc , its better if you are not there but you have the right to be if you like. , just don't leave money or jewellery out on display
    I disagree with this. You can tell you are a real estate agent..lol

From a tenants perspective it's better to be present for all inspections.

Open houses only benefit the agent. Having less people in the house at one time is the way to go. At least you can watch their every movement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes but I meant from an inconvenience perspective - most owners and tenants get cranky when we show 10-20 people through a week ( thats possibly 10-20 times we have to come into the house !) all of my owners prefer to get them all through at once with the serious buyers only coming back privately , I was just suggesting this way is less intrusive!

We just sold a rented home at auction on the weekend - we had 98 buyers through in 4 weeks - the tenants would have hated us coming in the house 98 times! we actually only came through 7 times in the 4 weeks doing open houses

As I said the OP has the right to be there but a lot of tenants feel uncomfortable so we advise them to sit outside or go for a walk after they let us in and come back to let us out!

OP talk to your agent about what your comfortable with

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks EM i will.

No way im having people come through almost everyday, thats just rude and inconsiderate imo.

Ill be saying one a week, i think thats fair.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (13-05-2013)