+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Woven v stretchy ring sling

I'm thinking about sewing myself a ring sling for my bub due in 8 weeks. There are lots of patterns online.

Do you think I can make a ring sling out of stretchy fabric? All the ones I have seen online seem to be woven, but the consensus seems to be that stretchy wraps are better for little bubs.

Am I misinterpreting it and woven are just as good for newborns? Any tips on fabric selection appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They are two different things- ring slings and stretchy wraps. I have heard hug a bub style stretchy wraps are great for newborns, I used an organic cotton ring sling and it was, and is, lovely too I don't think you'd want a stretchy fabric in an RS though. I could be wrong but they are normally made with woven fabrics or cotton.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Jellyfishie  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! I don't think I can be bothered fiddling with learning how to wrap with a stretchy like the hug a bub...I know it would get easier with time, but I'm not sure how committed to BW I am going to be...this could be a short lived fad for me The ring sling seems so much easier with a newbie,
    Will definitely make a woven ring sling, if it turns out well maybe I will give it a go with some jersey stretch fabric and see how it goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd just use cotton or linen. I think if it was stretchy if would be difficult to get a nice firm hold on bub - I can imagine the weight of the baby would pull down on the rings, making it harder to keep it nice and secure and snug. I'm not sure though! Just a thought. Good luck with the sewing project.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to futuremamma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    A ring sling shouldn't be stretchy. Stretchy wraps are just one long piece of fabric you wrap around & are only good for a short time while bub is small. A ring sling will last you for ages. I use a ring sling for my 15 month old if i need to pop into the shops quickly. I bought mine from a local lady who makes them & its just a basic cotton fabric from spotlight. I love it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Missabubble For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. There are some nights when I just love bubhub