+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    They should not have said sorry to the 'stolen generation'.
    Ah, the famous lack of empathy that we know so well. There are a few things that cause that, you should look them up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (22-05-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    How bout the rise in super, that is a good thing. Paid parentel leave.
    The problem is that they planned to pay for it via the MRRT.
    The MRRT did not provide the income their models suggested, and it now is resting upon the companies themselves.
    I work for a very small company. My boss is counting referrals and numbers of people in and their number of visits, and that's just for a start....

I personally think the increased super was a badly thought out plan due to the ill conceived MRRT model. I'm sure big businesses will be fine, but small businesses will wear the cost of the wildly proposed increased super plan.

Therein lies the problems with models

It all seems fantastic to look at models, but at the end of the day, small businesses are paying the price for the fact that this government promised bonuses (ie. the super increases) from money which hadn't been evaluated properly (ie. the MRRT)

and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    As for paid parental leave, I haven't looked into this properly - so cannot comment on this properly.

My biggest problem with the current government is that they seem to put forward ideas which seem good on paper (eg. increased super etc) however, they have done them with haste, so that they can't be examined with a fine toothed comb.

Mind you, I can't guarantee that any encumbant government will do any different, but it has truly scared me how quickly many things have passed legislation (eg. carbon tax, MRRT, NDIS) without much time frame to delve into the details of what the actual implications of these reforms mean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wait until the libs get in with the balance of power, then we will see things being pushed through parliament with lightning speed and no consultation. I've been under a state Lib with lib balance of power, and now we are under state lib with shooters balance of power, and it isn't pretty. There is absolutely nothing and no one stopping them doing whatever they want.

The MRRT didn't work out as planned, it is a pity, but you just can't predict these things, it's like playing the stock market.

I do think that the GFC and now the very strong dollar has played a huge part in the revenue that the government is relying on. And I think it is really naive to think it isn't. I know you don't necessarily think like that Pegasus - but it is clear that some people on this thread do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't think anyone says high income earners don't deserve their high salaries? Just that a family income at 160/170k a year (which is the cut off I think) shouldn't need rebates when the poor are told to stand on their own feet.

I for one say good on the high income earners. My issue is that many of these households simply don't need these tax funded perks. If we are going to be about economic rationalism, lets fund what is needed. Education, roads, health. Not giving high income families money for PHI.
    I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding here. The reason to reduce tax on high income earners is do that they can use that income to generate further revenue. Ie if you tax a business 100k, that's a 100k they don't have to potentially grow the business, employ more people, etc.

Unfortunately Australians have this conviction that everyone is a wage Earner, and don't remain cognisant of the fact that 50% of wage earners are employed by small business.

The logic behind the 'liberal' idea (or economic rationalist Rather) is they by reducing tax and restrictions on business, more revenue and jobs etc are ultimately created.

I find that Australians are quite insular in their thinking. Whether you vote Liberal or Labor, at some point Australians need to realise we are now not competitive with the rest of the world. Our wages are too high. Taxes and licences etc are too high. Jobs and business are leaving Australia because we aren't competitive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Please not I was in no way defending liberal, I don't think they've done anything constructive in years (ever?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the biggest influence on revenue at the moment (and therefore credit ratings etc) is the strong resources boom. Despite the MRRT there is a lot of revenue that is brought in by company tax. As has been said, this government has more revenue.

I understand how stimulating the economy in lean times helps run it, so sure I get it, but the idea if hand outs rather than investing in longer term stimulus was, I think, short sighted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Did red tape drive the child care cost increase, that subsequently forced a rebate increase?
    They should not have said sorry to the 'stolen generation'.
    Happy with the interest rates. I hope they stay there.
    Same with the low unemployment.
    You can't say they were responsible for 21 years of growth. They have been in for 6 years.
    The GFC reaction is debatable. There initial stimulus was good, but the second batch was too much.
    I didn't say they were responsible for 21 years of economic growth, but they have has growth every year they've been in government. Which is not the picture Abbott likes to paint.

And the ber? Well a review found that vast majority of schools got value for money and schools got quality education facilities. I know that under John Howard, my very disadvantaged public school would never have been given a new school library, interactive whiteboards in every classroom and refurbishment of every classroom, plus new furniture for each room as well, instead of the dated, mismatched and hideous furniture and rooms that we used to have.